Agenda and minutes

Venue: Anglia Room, The Conference Suite, Dereham

Contact: Julie Britton 

Items
No. Item

1/16

Minutes (Agenda item 1) pdf icon PDF 95 KB

To confirm the Minutes of the meeting held on 14 December 2016.

Minutes:

The Minutes of the meeting held on 14 December 2016 were agreed as a correct record, subject to the following amendments:

 

1)    Local Plan Preferred Site Options and Settlement Boundaries Consultation Responses and Progress Report (Minute No. 71/16)

 

a.      page 4 paragraph 4)

 

(Amendments in italics)

 

Councillor Claussen mentioned Yaxham and its proposed LSC status; there had been a huge amount of public interest which Officers had not listened to as the data had not been corrected since the 2015 LSC Topic Paper.  This, in his opinion, seemed to be just a ‘tick box’ exercise and was totally unjustified and unfair for Yaxham.  The Chairman said that it was inevitably a ‘tick box’ exercise at the start.  With consultation responses it becomes an exercise of judgement.  He assured Members that the questions had been asked and Officers had confirmed that Yaxham did comply with the necessary criteria.  Referring to the school……………….

Ina Martin, representative for Yaxham’s Neighbourhood Plan pointed out that Norfolk County Council was not the admissions authority for the school, the Church was.  He also mentioned the housing numbers for the village and the fact that, in his view, the distance between Clint Green and Yaxham made for two different settlements and therefore felt the village did not meet the LSC requirements.  The Chairman said that the issue of Yaxham as an LSC should be ‘parked’ for a further review of services audit.  Yaxham Parish representatives present offered to assist the services audit review and to meet the Members of the LPWG if that would assist.

 

b.      page 5 paragraph 3

 

Roger Atterwill, the Chairman to Swanton Morley Parish Council….

 

The Parish did not want the recommended alternative sites but wanted others instead, as long as Hoe Road East could be widened.

 

The Parish Council was looking to put 5 year review dates in its Neighbourhood Plan but at the backend of the 20 year plan 237 dwellings would become available.

 

c.      Page 6 paragraph 1 - to add the following wording to the end of the paragraph to read:

 

The Chairman said Neighbourhood Plans were the chance for communities to shape how they develop in the future and Councillor always respected, and put great value by communities that clearly showed how they wished to develop through developing their own Neighbourhood Plans.

 

 

2/16

Apologies (Agenda item 2)

To receive any apologies for absence.

Minutes:

Councillor Robinson.

3/16

Declarations of Interest (Agenda item 3)

The duties to register, disclose and not to participate for the entire consideration of the matter, in respect of any matter in which a Member has a disclosable pecuniary interest are set out in Chapter 7 of the Localism Act 2011.  Members are also required to withdraw from the meeting room as stated in the Standing Orders of this Council.

 

Minutes:

None.

4/16

Urgent Business (Agenda item 4)

To note whether the Chairman proposes to accept any item as urgent business, pursuant to Section 100(B)(4)(b) of the Local Government Act 1972.

Minutes:

None.

5/16

Non Members wishing to address the meeting (Agenda item 5)

To note the names of any non-members who wish to address the meeting.

Minutes:

Councillors Marion Chapman-Allen, Pablo Dimoglou, Phillip Duigan, Keith Gilbert, Adrian Joel, Keith Martin, Robert Richmond, Nigel Wilkin and Peter Wilkinson.

6/16

Chairman's Announcements (if any) (Agenda item 6)

Minutes:

None.

7/16

Breckland Local Development Scheme (Agenda item 7) pdf icon PDF 71 KB

Report of the Senior Planning Policy Officer.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Stephen Ottewell (SO), the Director of Capita Planning & Building Control presented the report. 

 

Local authorities were required to prepare a Local Development Scheme (LDS) through Section 15 of the Planning and Compulsory Purchase Act 2004 (as amended by the Localism Act 2011). An LDS was effectively the Council’s public facing timetable against which the Local Plan were prepared.  Significant progress had already been made on the preparation of the Local Plan, including three rounds of public consultation.  Future milestones for the Local Plan, as set out in the LDS, were as follows:

 

·         Pre-submission Publication (regulation 19): May to June 2017

·         Submission to the Planning Inspectorate: July 2017

·         Examination in Public: October 2017

·         Adoption: December 2017

 

Option 1 of the report had been recommended.

 

Councillor Duigan asked a question on the process in relation to who would have the final say if Breckland Council disagreed with any potential/proposed amendments to the scheme.  Members were informed that the Council would have to consult on those changes but the Planning Inspectorate would have the final say.

 

Councillor Sam Chapman-Allen asked the Strategic Planning Manager to expand on the meaning of neighbouring authorities.  Members were informed that most Local Plan Working Groups had a duty to co-operate and were engaged with partner authorities to develop a high level agreement and that work was still on-going.  Breckland Council was the first in the area with a single Local Plan and therefore was engaging with those authorities on the key issues.

 

Councillor Wilkinson drew attention to section 2 of Appendix A where it referred to changes to National Planning Policy and mentioned the Government’s White Paper that was due to be published.  He believed that this Paper would put a different stance on many issues and therefore a great deal of work would most probably be required.  In response to a concern, SO advised that this matter had already been included on the Risk Register. 

 

RESOLVED that Option 1 of the report be endorsed – to agree the revised LDS (as Appendix A) with effect from December 2016.

 

8/16

Progress Report on Pre-Submission Local Plan preparation (Agenda item 8) pdf icon PDF 196 KB

Report of the Senior Planning Policy Officer.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

SO presented the report which informed Members on the progress of the Local Plan including housing distribution, local service centres and rural areas policy; each would be addressed in turn.

 

Members were reminded of the LPWG session held on 14 December 2016 where a great deal of debate had been had on these matters and additional work had been undertaken.

 

Local Service Centres (LSCs)

 

An LSC topic paper had been prepared to support the preferred directions consultation which had been carried out in January and February 2016.  The topic paper used the criteria to assess villages within Breckland in a consistent manner.  Following consultation, further work had been undertaken looking into the services and facilities within the villages to ensure consistency in the designations.  The designations as LSCs for the villages of Yaxham, Bawdeswell and Garboldisham were being re-considered as the respective Parish Council’s had objected to the designations based on public transport, employment opportunities.  The parish of Yaxham had objected for the same reasons including incorporating the three separate settlements. 

 

a.    Bawdeswell

 

The Chairman highlighted the concerns that had been raised by the Parish Council; however, the criteria had been met.

 

It was

 

RECOMMENDED to Cabinet that the parish of Bawdeswell remains as Local Service Centre.

 

b.    Garboldisham

 

Councillor Marion Chapman-Allen was in attendance to represent the Parish Council.  She explained that the Parish Council was still unhappy but reluctantly accepted the designation.  She mentioned the two preferred sites in the Local Plan 004 and 005 of which there had been over 50 responses on-line to the consultation in support of these sites.  There had not been any alternative sites put forward; however, it had been brought to her attention that a further site was being considered.  She asked Officers for assurance that this Back Street site, which was neither preferred nor alternative, and had not been included due to severe highway constraints, would not come forward.  SO advised that no other sites, only the preferred sites, would go forward in the Local Plan.

 

It was

 

RECOMMENDED to Cabinet that the parish of Garboldisham remains as a Local Service Centre.

 

c.    Yaxham

 

Many parishioners from Yaxham were in attendance.

 

The issues and concerns previously expressed by the Parish Council were highlighted these included the separation of the settlements which formed Yaxham parish, where the responsibility lied in relation to school admissions employment and facilities. To aid Members a number of presentation slides were provided that highlighted the comparison between for example, North Elmham’s area of overlap which was clearly more significant in terms of schools facilities and shops.  SO read aloud a paragraph from the National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF) which stated that ‘housing should be located where it will enhance or maintain the vitality of rural communities; for example, where there were groups of smaller settlements, development in one village may support services in a village nearby.

 

Mrs Margaret Oechsle JP, a resident advised that Yaxham did function as a village and wished to remain as such and  ...  view the full minutes text for item 8/16

9/16

Draft Infrastructure Delivery Plan (Agenda item 9) pdf icon PDF 89 KB

Report of the Principal Planning Policy Officer.

 

Due to its size the appendix to this report is attached as a supplementary agenda.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Jemma March, the Principal Planning Officer presented the draft version of the Infrastructure Delivery Plan (IDP) and the key findings were highlighted.

 

Councillor Duigan mentioned the Thetford Strategic Urban Extension (SUE) which in his opinion until completed the recommended number of dwellings could not be built.

 

Mr Atterwill alluded to the sewage works in Dereham which he had heard was now going to be diverted to Swanton Morley instead of Mattishall.  He asked when the Parish was going to be informed of this change and when they would see sight of the proposals.   Members were informed that the Water Cycle Study was still awaited.  Councillor Webb explained that meetings had been held between the Council and Anglian Water and Swanton Morley had been considered as one of the alternative options; a response should be received in next few weeks.

 

Mr Needham asked when the power supply would be delivered in Thetford as he felt that the whole Plan relied on this matter.  Councillor Sam Chapman-Allen pointed out that a funding bid had been made to the New Anglia Local Enterprise Partnership and should be released once the 300 dwellings that could be built had been completed.

 

The report to date was otherwise noted. The report would be brought back to a future meeting.  Comments were invited from the Town and Parish Councils.

10/16

Local Plan and CIL Viability Assessment (Agenda item 10) pdf icon PDF 146 KB

Report of the Principal Planning Policy Officer.

 

Due to its size the appendix to this report is attached as a supplementary agenda.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

JM, the Principal Planning Officer presented the report.

 

Breckland Council commissioned HDH Planning and Development Ltd to produce the Local Plan and Viability Assessment to consider:

 

a.    the level of affordable housing in terms of quantum and mix that could be delivered

b.    the balance of contributions sought by developers, including affordable housing, other policy requirements and the costs of infrastructure and mitigation; and

c.    the effect that CIL could have on development viability in the District.

 

Members’ attention was drawn to the key findings in the report and it was noted that a lower target in relation to affordable housing had been considered and a watching brief would be kept on this as well as extra care housing.

 

SO was aware that there was a great deal of technical information contained in the report and highlighted the tables on page 116 of the agenda supplement and explained the meaning of the different colours within the table.  He referred Members to page 153 of the supplement to the column that a residual value of £50 per square metre and the numbers highlighted in red which related to brownfield sites. 

 

Faye LeBon representing Swanton Morley Parish Council queried the recommendation in the report as, in her opinion, it was not clear that the approach in relation to affordable housing was being considered.  GM explained how the flexibility approach had been reached based on market conditions in future but was still subject to consultation.

 

Mrs LeBon wanted to know how the Council expected to resolve the evidence of need and the evidence of viability. 

 

There was much discussion on the issue of CIL, the tenures in relation to social rent or shared ownership and the lack of one/two bed properties in the Breckland area and when this particular process would come to an end.

 

PM explained that the original CIL assessment document had been prepared a number of years ago and the financial climate had changed.  He also indicated that there was an expectation that CIL was calculated based in the adopted policies of the time, in view of the Local Development Framework and its requirement for 40% affordable housing that made CIL largely unviable.  He further indicated that the Council was not achieving the 40% element on every site and the new Local Plan would identify a new requirement.  Currently, the Council was still going through the preparation process but effectively this would stop when the Local Plan was adopted post examination.

 

Mr Atterwill said that he would support a 20% affordable housing target if a CIL was introduced.

 

Councillor Sam Chapman-Allen did not feel informed enough to be able to make a recommendation on this important matter.

 

It was AGREED that the report be deferred to enable Officers to prepare further information on the options available to Members regarding the balance between affordable housing, other policy requirements and developer contribution.

THE MEETING WAS ADJOURNED

11/16

Strategic Flood Risk Assessment and Sequential Test (Agenda item 11) pdf icon PDF 74 KB

Report of the Senior Planning Policy Officer.

 

Due to its size, Appendix A to this report is attached as a supplementary agenda.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

To be discussed at the resumed meeting, the date of which was to be arranged.

12/16

Indoor and Built Sports and Recreational Facilities study (Agenda item 12) pdf icon PDF 135 KB

Report of the Planning Policy Officer.

 

Due to its size, Appendix B to this report is attached as a supplementary agenda.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

To be discussed at the resumed meeting, the date of which was to be arranged.