Agenda and minutes

Contact: Democratic Services  01362 656870

Media

Items
No. Item

24/21

Minutes pdf icon PDF 68 KB

To confirm the minutes of the meeting held on 9 February 2021.

Minutes:

The minutes of the meeting held on 9 February 2021 were confirmed as a correct record.

25/21

Apologies and Substitutes

To receive apologies for absence and to note substitute Members in attendance.

Minutes:

An apology had been received from Councillor Dale. Councillor Wilkinson was in attendance as her substitute.

26/21

Chairman's Announcements (if any)

Minutes:

None.

27/21

Urgent Business

To note whether the Chairman proposes to accept any item as urgent business pursuant to Section 100(B)(4)(b) of the Local Government Act 1972.

Minutes:

None.

28/21

Declaration of Interests

The duties to register, disclose and not to participate for the entire consideration of the matter, in respect of any matter in which a Member has a disclosable pecuniary interest are set out in Chapter 7 of the Localism Act 2011.  Members are also required to withdraw from the meeting room as stated in the Standing Orders of this Council.

 

Minutes:

None.

29/21

Non-Members wishing to address the Meeting

To note the names of any non-members or public speakers wishing to address the meeting.

Minutes:

The Chairman welcomed non-Members in attendance.

30/21

Q3 Performance Update pdf icon PDF 68 KB

Report of Councillor Sarah Suggitt, Executive Member for Governance.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Executive Member for Governance, Sarah Suggitt was pleased to introduce the new look Quarter 3 Performance Report. She explained that the report positively showed an improvement in the Contact Centre with the introduction of a new system to support both staff and residents which had yielded positive results. Throughout the report the impact of Covid-19 could be seen and had been reflected in some areas more than others.

 

The Innovation and Change Business Partner, Ryan Pack explained the new report in further detail and explained that with the new format, they had intended to show the pre-Covid-19 performance and the performance of the last two quarters to reflect the impact it had on the Council.  He felt it was important to contextualise Breckland Council’s performance and how it was reacting during Covid-19. He re-capped on the positives within the report with the improvement achieved within the Contact Centre and highlighted the improvement in recycling tonnage.

 

Councillor Birt noted that the abandoned call rate on Pentana for February alone was indicating 19.52% which was quite high and felt that the wait time calculation was still unclear. He also asked if there could be something within the report to indicate rapid changes in performance in service areas and asked for clarification on what the parameters were when assessing the carbon footprint.

 

The Innovation and Change Business Partner advised he would check on the call wait time and the carbon footprint and report back with the information. The Executive Manager People and Innovation, Jason Cole, explained that within the Contact Centre the changes were monitored regularly, hourly and sometimes on a minute-by-minute basis depending on any peaks throughout the day and resources would be diverted to counteract any rapid increase in calls along with any pre-known factors that could affect the performance. He would contact the Customer Service Manager to find out if there was something particular in February that had caused that increase and report back.

 

Councillor Kybird commented on the number of re-tweets and encouraged Members to re-tweet to reach a wider audience. He also queried the number of empty properties brought back into use against the number of empty properties within Breckland and asked for further explanation on the two different figures. The Innovation and Change Business Partner explained that the figure for empty properties brought back into use on the Key Performance Indicators was as a direct officer intervention by a member of the Private Sector Housing Team working to get an empty property back into use, and the number of empty properties within Breckland was a figure taken from Council Tax reports.

 

Councillor I Martin noted that there had been a significant improvement within the Contact Centre and asked how this process was being managed. The Innovation and Change Business Partner explained all Contact Centre staff were now working from home and the Manager of the Contact Centre had said there been an improvement in some areas due to less office distractions, but he would ask for  ...  view the full minutes text for item 30/21

31/21

Outside Body Feedback (Standing Item)

To receive an update from representatives on Outside Bodies.

 

Minutes:

Councillor Kybird reported that the museums that had opened before the most recent lockdown remained closed and would re-open again in May, which included Gressenhall Workhouse and Farm Museum but not Ancient House at this point.

 

Councillor Wilkinson reminded Members that Breckland District Council had agreed a grant recently to support a mental health programme to be run by the Youth Advisory Board to support families across Norfolk whilst they await results from health providers.

32/21

Scrutiny Call-ins (Standing Item)

To note whether any decisions have been called-in for scrutiny.

Minutes:

None.

33/21

Councillor Call for Action (Standing Item)

To consider any references.

Minutes:

None.

34/21

Work Programme pdf icon PDF 139 KB

(a)          A copy of the Commission’s work programme is attached.  The Commission is asked to agree any additions, deletions or amendments to the programme as appropriate.

 

(b)        Member Issues:  In accordance with the Commission’s protocol for member leadership, which states that members of the Commission will take the lead in selecting topics for overview and scrutiny and in the questioning of witnesses, members are invited to put forward items for selection for future review.

 

A copy of the Key Decision Plan is attached for Members’ information.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Councillor Kybird asked if the future report regarding Electric Charging Points could be expanded to include how suitable locations could be found across the district, exactly where they were, and how many there would be at each particular point. The Chairman asked for this information to be included in the report at the next meeting.

 

The Chairman asked Councillor Turner for her comments on the previously discussed Task and Finish Group to look at flooding issues.

 

Councillor Turner felt that this did not need to be investigated further but it might be prudent to wait until the next meeting.  She explained that there was a Mid-Norfolk Flood Programme being set up in addition to a County Wide Flood Group and felt that there could be some duplication if it was started too early. She felt; however, that there was still a need for a Group to look at infrastructure issues with planning permissions as many systems could not cope with current development.

 

Councillor Turner suggested that it would be sensible to wait to see what came out of those first meetings as that could change the Terms of Reference and the nature of the work the Group would concentrate on.

 

The Chairman asked a question in relation to the earlier discussion regarding the Key Performance Indicator review, and whether Members would prefer a small Task and Finish group or to bring the item back to April as an agenda item. Following a vote, Members preferred to bring the matter back as an agenda item in April.

 

Councillor Birt suggested, as there had been recent issues with Section 106 Agreements, that it would be worthwhile to look at the operations, scrutiny and the consultation processes surrounding this. The Chairman suggested this be added to the 15 July meeting.

 

 

35/21

Next Meeting

To note the arrangements for the next meeting to be held on 22 April 2021 at 10am.

 

Minutes:

The arrangements for the next meeting scheduled for Thursday 22 April at 10.00am were noted.