Agenda and minutes

Venue: Norfolk Room, The Conference Suite, Elizabeth House, Dereham

Contact: Committee Services  Tel: 01362 656870

Items
No. Item

1.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 56 KB

To confirm the minutes of the meeting held on 16 November 2011.

Minutes:

With regard to paragraph 3 on page 3 of the Minutes, Cllr English wanted it noted that he had pointed out that grammar and phrasing in the reports needed to be “tidied up” and wanted his name recorded in all Minutes where appropriate in future.

 

Subject to the above being noted, the Minutes of the meeting held on 16 November 2011 were confirmed as a correct record and signed by the Chairman.

2.

Apologies

To receive apologies for absence. 

Minutes:

Apologies for absence had been received from Cllrs Clark, Steward, Green and Borrett.  Cllr Jermy was in attendance as a substitute for Cllr Clark.  Cllr Quadling’s absence was noted.

3.

Local Joint Consultative Committee 15 December 2011 pdf icon PDF 77 KB

To adopt the unconfirmed minutes of the Local Joint Consultative Committee held on 15 December 2011.

Minutes:

It was noted that the recommendations in the Minutes would be dealt with under items 8-11 of the Agenda.

 

Subject to it being noted that Cllr Duigan was present at the LJCC held on 15 December 2011 it was,

 

RESOLVED to adopt the unconfirmed Minutes of the Local Joint Consultative Committee meeting held on 15 December 2011.

4.

Next Meeting

To note that the next meeting will be held on Wednesday 8 February 2012 at 10.00 a.m in the Anglia Room.

Minutes:

The arrangements for the next meeting on 8 February 2012 at 10.00 a.m in the Anglia Room were noted.  The Chief Executive would address the meeting on the potential of extending shared services.

5.

Exclusion of Press and Public

To consider passing the following resolution :

 

“That under Section 100(A)(4) of the Local Government Act 1972, the press and the public be excluded for the meeting for the following items of business on the grounds that it involves the disclosure of exempt information as defined in paragraph 1, 2 and 4 of the Schedule 12A to the Act”.

 

PART B

ITEMS FROM WHICH THE PRESS AND THE PUBLIC ARE EXCLUDED

Minutes:

RESOLVED that under Section 100(A) of the Local Government Act 1972, the press and the public be excluded from the meeting for the following items of business on the grounds that it involved the disclosure of exempt information as defined in paragraphs 1, 2 and 4 of Schedule 12A to the Act.

6.

Community Services Restructuring

Report of the Assistant Chief Executive.

Minutes:

The Deputy Chief Executive presented the report which was a summary of work undertaken and answered questions raised by Members which covered multi-functional aspects of the organisation and some posts, contact with groups and parishes and youth engagement which was a priority to publically promote.

 

The corporate priorities of the Council and the principles upon which they were founded would become central to the approach and work of the Community Development Team going forward and the outcomes the team would endeavour to achieve.

 

The key changes to the existing structure were explained and discussed at length.

 

Some Members of the Committee including the Chairman voiced concern and felt that having a Lead Officer present when reports of this nature came to General Purposes would be beneficial.  A comparison was given to the template and model used when the Licensing and Business Support Restructure was undertaken

 

The Executive Member for Localism, Community & Environmental Services gave Members some background information and statistics on work undertaken by Officers, and examples of how the service would move forward.

 

            RECOMMEND to Council that :

 

The proposal to restructure the Community Development service in Breckland Council be endorsed.

7.

ICT Review

Report of the Interim ICT Management.

Minutes:

Lon Jeal, Interim ICT Management summarised the report.  Cllr Jermy was pleased to see a generic job description and person specification included in the report which assisted Members with their understanding.  Further Job Descriptions/Person Specifications had been produced.

 

            RECOMMEND to Council that :

 

(1)               The new ICT staff structure be approved

 

(2)               Agree results of the JE process and financial implications

 

Cllrs English and Jermy asked to be provided with details of salary scales, which the HR Manager agreed to circulate following the meeting.

8.

Legal Review

Report of the Assistant Director Democratic Services.

Minutes:

The Deputy Chief Executive presented the report and introduced Mr David Incoll, Legal Consultant who answered questions and concerns raised by Members.

 

The Chairman asked for assurances that the Legal Services Co-Ordinator would have a legal background.  Both the Deputy Chief Executive and Mr David Incoll confirmed that it was an essential criteria listed within the Job Description/Specification.

 

            RESOLVED :

 

That the Deputy Chief Executive return to the General Purposes

Committee on 8 February 2012 to update them following the end of the

formal staff consultation period.

 

            RECOMMEND to Council that  :

 

That delegated authority is given to the two Council Leaders and the

Chief Executive to sign off the restructure following formal consultation

with Staff and Unions  to ensure the restructure and efficiency savings

can be achieved in 2012/13 onwards.

 

 

9.

HR Review

Report of the HR Manager.

Minutes:

The HR Manager presented her report and explained that training and development was not included in the proposed re-structure, but would be picked up in a separate report for the General Purposes Committee to consider.

 

            RECOMMEND to Council that :

 

(1)   The restructure of the existing HR Team to reduce establishment by 0.6 FTE be approved

 

(2)   Provide delegated authority to the Chief Executive to make one redundancy, subject to the outcomes of the consultation and selection process.

 

Cllr Bambridge took the opportunity of advising the HR Manager that in his opinion, Member training was working well.  The HR Manager stated that a lot of work was being undertaken around The Localism Bill.

 

The Chairman asked the HR Manager to bring back to the General Purposes Committee updates on the Performance Related Pay Scheme and Out of Hours Payments.