Agenda and draft minutes

Venue: The Breckland Conference Centre, Anglia Room, Elizabeth House, Walpole Loke, Dereham, NR19 1EE

Contact: Democratic Services  01362 656870

Media

Items
No. Item

82/22

Minutes (Agenda item 1) pdf icon PDF 319 KB

To confirm the minutes of the meeting held on 2 August 2022.

Minutes:

The Minutes of the meeting held on 2 August 2022 were agreed as a correct record and signed by the Chairman.

83/22

Apologies & Substitutes (Agenda item 2)

To receive apologies for absence.

Minutes:

An apology for absence was received from Councillor Gilbert.  There were no substitutes in attendance.

84/22

Declaration of Interest and of Representations Received (Agenda item 3)

The duties to register, disclose and not to participate for the entire consideration of the matter, in respect of any matter in which a Member has a disclosable pecuniary interest are set out in Chapter 7 of the Localism Act 2011.  Members are also required to withdraw from the meeting as stated in the Standing Orders of this Council.

 

Minutes:

None declared.

85/22

Chairman's Announcements (Agenda item 4)

Minutes:

None.

86/22

Requests to Defer Applications included in this Agenda (Agenda item 5)

To consider any requests from Ward Members, officers or applicants to defer an application included in this agenda, so as to save any unnecessary waiting by members of the public attending for such applications.

 

Please note that the two applications for Thetford (3PL/2022/0709/F and 3PL/2022/0711A) have been deferred please see page ?? of the agenda pack.

Minutes:

The applications at Agenda items 5(a) and 5(b) below had been deferred prior to the meeting as alternative locations were being sought for the installation of the BT LCD display screens.

86/22a

Thetford: Footpath outside Light Cinema, Anchor Place: Reference: 3PL/2022/0711/A pdf icon PDF 9 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Deferred – see Minute No. 86/22 above.

86/22b

Thetford: Footpath outside Light Cinema, Anchor Place: Reference: 3PL/2022/0709/F pdf icon PDF 93 KB

Minutes:

Deferred – see Minute No. 86/22 above.

 

87/22

Urgent Business (Agenda item 6)

To note whether the Chairman proposes to accept any item as urgent business, pursuant to Section 100(B)(4)(b) of the Local Government Act 1972.

Minutes:

None.

88/22

Local Plan Update (Standing Item) (Agenda item 7)

To receive an update. 

Minutes:

Simon Wood, the Director of Planning & Building Control provided Members with a verbal update on the Local Plan.

 

Members were advised of a new engagement platform that the Council was going to be using going forward in relation to Local Plan updates.  The on-line engagement platform was called ‘Common-Place’ that would allow residents, Members and any interested parties to register for free and enables the local Planning Authority to connect with the whole community and make more inclusive decisions about place and the Local Plan.

 

The reason for this new platform was because it was used by other local authorities in relation to their Local Plan engagement process, it would hopefully make it easier for people to engage and it was understood that 70% of people who used ‘Common-Place’ were under the age of 45 which was traditionally a very difficult demographic to engage with in the plan making process.

 

Members would be kept informed on how to register.

 

Councillor Atterwill had noticed that this Council had taken almost a year off the time to progress the Local Plan review so instead of completing in quarter 4 in 2027, it was now suggesting a completion in quarter 1 2027. He had done a comparison as to what was originally agreed at Cabinet in 2021 as opposed to the timetable now and quoted a clause in the Cabinet report at section 3.5 and was curious to ascertain how the Council was going to achieve this.

 

The Director of Planning & Building Control advised that he would look at the Local Development Scheme in more detail and pick that up with Councillor Atterwill in due course.

 

For assistance on this matter, Councillor Atterwill said that he would send the Director of Planning & Building Control the comparison chart.

 

An update was then provided on Nutrient Neutrality, having regard to the question that Councillor Morton had asked at the recent Full Council meeting to which the Director of Planning & Building Control had responded directly by email. 

 

Nutrient Neutrality affects applications for residential development and also applications that had pre-commencement drainage conditions.  Currently there were approximately 40 applications equivalent to 700 dwellings on hold but Members would be aware of the written Ministerial statement issued in July 2022 that Natural England would be leading and working with affected authorities to help provide mitigation solutions.  As yet, there had been no indication as what this would entail or when it would happen.  There was also a requirement for Anglian Water to provide upgrades to all their waste treatment water works by 2030, this was an insertion into the Levelling Up Bill, but again that still needed to go through the regulatory process and go through Parliament.    

 

The Norfolk districts were working with Royal Haskoning using funding from Central Government to look at ways to allow applications in the system to be determined and to identify mid-term and long-term mitigation needs on a County-wide basis.  The Council was also working at a local level with local landowners  ...  view the full minutes text for item 88/22

89/22

5-year Housing Land Supply Report (Agenda item 8) pdf icon PDF 2 MB

Report of Councillor Sarah Suggitt, Executive Member for Strategic and Operational Planning.

Minutes:

Andrew D’Arcy, the Planning Policy Manager presented the report.

 

The purpose of the report was to present the current 5-year housing land supply position (as at 31 March 2022) as set out in the accompanying annual statement attached to the report as required by the National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF).  It was also a means of demonstrating if a Council could meet its housing development needs across the District over the next 5-year period.

 

In summary, Members were informed that the report highlighted that as of April 2022, Breckland could demonstrate over a 5-year supply of housing.  There was still a shortfall of delivery, but completions were now quite strong and since the publication of the agenda a number of very helpful comments had been received from developers and agents that had allowed the figures to be tweaked.

 

Councillor Clarke felt pleased that the Council had over 5 years of housing supply but as this was an annual report and subject to any further changes to planning guidance, he asked if this would come back to the Planning Committee.

 

Members were informed that if there were any changes to the NPPF then amendments would have to be made and would consequently come back to this Committee.

 

RESOLVED that:

 

1.     the content of the 5-year Housing Supply Statement be noted and agree that it represents the current position of the Council; and

 

2.     Members agree the use of the report in Development Management decision making.

90/22

Deferred Applications (Agenda item 9) pdf icon PDF 195 KB

To consider applications deferred at previous meetings including some, but not all, of those shown on the attached Schedule of Deferred Applications.

Minutes:

Under this item the Chairman asked for Members to be updated on the recent 3 site visits whose applications had not as yet progressed to Committee.

 

Rebecca Collins, the Head of Development Management stated that the Quidenham application had since submitted a revised description of the development and plans, which was now out for public consultation, and was likely to be presented to the next Planning Committee meeting.

 

In respect of Griston, amended information had been submitted and consultation responses were awaited.  Again, this would be aimed for the next meeting dependent on the responses received.

 

The Wellingham application was still under discussion in respect of ecology issues.

91/22

Schedule of Planning Applications (Agenda item 10)

To consider the Schedule of Planning Applications:

Minutes:

The Chairman informed Members that the order on the agenda had changed and the Narborough application would be considered first.

91/22a

Narborough: Land to the North of 1-14 Swaffham Road: Reference: 3PL/2022/0252/F pdf icon PDF 120 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Residential development including the erection of 10 dwellings, alternations to the existing access onto Narford Road, construction of a new informal access and a new pedestrian link to Swaffham Road.

 

Consideration was given to the report presented by Chris Hobson, Principal Development Management Planner. A supplementary report had been included on the Agenda that highlighted a number of corrections to the description of development together with suggested amended conditions.  It was noted that the ecological advisers had raised no objections to the application.

 

Members considered the matter and fully explored the details of the application in light of prevailing policies and guidance.

 

Representations were made in respect of the application in accordance with the Council’s scheme of public speaking at Planning Committee meetings:

 

Applicant’s Agent:                   Nick Moys (Brown & Co)

 

Applicant:                                Mr Stuart Melton

 

DECISION: Members voted unanimously for approval in support of the Officer’s recommendation; subject to:

 

1. the conditions as listed in the report and the amended conditions as listed in the supplementary report on pages 138 and 139 of the Agenda pack; and

 

2. delegated authority being given to Officers to complete a S106 Agreement to secure the planning obligations as listed in the report.

91/22b

North Lopham: Land to rear of 27 The Street : Reference: 3PL/2022/0606/O pdf icon PDF 85 KB

Minutes:

Outline planning permission for the erection of 2no. self-build single storey dwellings with all matters reserved except access and scale.

 

Consideration was given to the report presented by Matthew Blackie, Senior Development Management Planner.

 

Members considered the matter and fully explored the details of the application in light of prevailing policies and guidance.

 

Representations were made in respect of the application in accordance with the Council’s scheme of public speaking at Planning Committee meetings:

 

Ward Representatives:           Councillors Marion Chapman-Allen and William Nunn.

 

Applicant’s Agent:                   Mr M McManus (Robert Molloy Architects)

 

DECISION: Members voted unanimously for approval against the Officers recommendation of refusal.

 

REASONS: The planning benefits of the application including the provision of single storey, small dwellings outweigh the non-compliance with Policy HOU04 of the Local Plan as identified.  

 

DECISION: Members voted unanimously for approval, subject to:

 

1.    delegated authority being given to Officers to impose suitable conditions; and including conditions to remove permitted development rights and for the dwellings to be single story; and

 

2.    matters of ecology being delegated to Officers.

91/22c

Old Buckenham: Land Adjacent Snetterton Farm, Banham Road: Reference: 3PL/2022/0750/F pdf icon PDF 80 KB

Minutes:

Self-build three-bedroom dwelling, detached timber garage and ground mounted solar panel array.

 

Consideration was given to the report presented by Matthew Blackie, Senior Development Management Planner.

 

Members considered the matter and fully explored the details of the application in light of prevailing policies and guidance.

 

A representation was made in respect of the application in accordance with the Council’s scheme of public speaking at Planning Committee meetings:

 

Ward Representative:            Councillor Stephen Askew

 

DECISION: Members voted 5 x 5 in respect of the application.

 

The Chairman put forward his casting vote and voted in favour of the Officer’s recommendation of refusal.

 

DECISION: Refused as recommended.

 

91/22d

Attleborough: Footpath outside Zandielle Clinic, Church Street: Reference: 3PL/2022/0721/A pdf icon PDF 87 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Two digital 75-inch LCD Display Screens one each site of the Street Hub unit.

 

Consideration was given to the report presented by Rebecca Collins, Head of Development Management.

 

Members considered the matter and fully explored the details of the application in light of prevailing policies and guidance.

 

No representations were made in respect of the application in accordance with the Council’s scheme of public speaking at Planning Committee meetings.

 

DECISION: Members voted unanimously for approval in support of the Officer’s recommendation; subject to the conditions as listed in the report and an additional condition to include a Management Plan.

 

91/22e

Attleborough: Footpath outside Zandielle Clinic, Church Street: Reference: 3PL/2022/0723/F pdf icon PDF 93 KB

Minutes:

Removal of existing BT phone box and installation of a proposed replacement BT Street Hub and associated display of advertisement to both sides of the unit.

 

Consideration was given to the report presented by Rebecca Collins, Head of Development Management.

 

Members considered the matter and fully explored the details of the application in light of prevailing policies and guidance.

 

No representations were made in respect of the application in accordance with the Council’s scheme of public speaking at Planning Committee meetings.

 

DECISION: Members voted unanimously for approval in support of the Officer’s recommendation; subject to the conditions as listed in the report and an additional condition to include a Management Plan.

 

91/22f

Dereham: Footpath adjacent 4a Nelson Place (Superdrug), Nunn's Way: Reference: 3PL/2022/0729/A pdf icon PDF 83 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Two digital 75-inch LCD Display Screens one each site of the Street Hub unit.

 

Consideration was given to the report presented by Rebecca Collins, Head of Development Management.

 

Members considered the matter and fully explored the details of the application in light of prevailing policies and guidance.

 

No representations were made in respect of the application in accordance with the Council’s scheme of public speaking at Planning Committee meetings.

 

DECISION: Members voted unanimously for approval in support of the Officer’s recommendation; subject to the conditions as listed in the report and an additional condition to include a Management Plan.

 

91/22g

Dereham: Footpath adjacent 4a Nelson Place (Superdrug), Nunn's Way: Reference: 3PL/2022/0730/F pdf icon PDF 87 KB

Minutes:

Removal of existing BT phone box and installation of a proposed replacement BT Street Hub and associated advertisement to both sides of the unit.

 

Consideration was given to the report presented by Rebecca Collins, Head of Development Management.

 

Members considered the matter and fully explored the details of the application in light of prevailing policies and guidance.

 

No representations were made in respect of the application in accordance with the Council’s scheme of public speaking at Planning Committee meetings.

 

DECISION: Members voted unanimously for approval in support of the Officer’s recommendation; subject to the conditions as listed in the report and an additional condition to include a Management Plan.

 

91/22h

Thetford: Footpath outside 26-28 King Street (Natwest): Reference: 3PL/2022/0710/A pdf icon PDF 87 KB

Minutes:

Two digital 75-inch LCD Display Screens one each site of the Street Hub unit.

 

Consideration was given to the report presented by Rebecca Collins, Head of Development Management.

 

Members considered the matter and fully explored the details of the application in light of prevailing policies and guidance.

 

No representations were made in respect of the application in accordance with the Council’s scheme of public speaking at Planning Committee meetings.

 

DECISION: Members voted 8 x 2 for approval in support of the Officer’s recommendation; subject to the conditions as listed in the report and an additional condition to include a Management Plan.

 

91/22i

Thetford: Footpath outside 26-28 King Street (Natwest): Reference: 3PL/2022/0708/F pdf icon PDF 94 KB

Minutes:

Removal of existing BT phone box and installation of a proposed replacement BT Street Hub and associated display of advertisement to both sides of the unit.

 

Consideration was given to the report presented by Rebecca Collins, Head of Development Management.

 

Members considered the matter and fully explored the details of the application in light of prevailing policies and guidance.

 

No representations were made in respect of the application in accordance with the Council’s scheme of public speaking at Planning Committee meetings.

 

DECISION: Members voted 8 x 2 for approval in support of the Officer’s recommendation; subject to the conditions as listed in the report and an additional condition to include a Management Plan.

 

91/22j

Swaffham: Footpath outside 48 Market Place: Reference: 3PL/2022/0725/A pdf icon PDF 93 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Two digital 75-inch LCD Display Screens one each site of the Street Hub unit.

 

Consideration was given to the report presented by Rebecca Collins, Head of Development Management.

 

Members considered the matter and fully explored the details of the application in light of prevailing policies and guidance.

 

No representations were made in respect of the application in accordance with the Council’s scheme of public speaking at Planning Committee meetings.

 

DECISION: Members voted unanimously in agreement with the Officer’s recommendation of refusal.

 

91/22k

Swaffham: Footpath outside 48 Market Place: Reference: 3PL/2022/0726/F pdf icon PDF 100 KB

Minutes:

Removal of existing BT phone box and installation of a proposed BT Street Hub and associated display of advertisement to both side of the unit.

 

Consideration was given to the report presented by Rebecca Collins, Head of Development Management.

 

Members considered the matter and fully explored the details of the application in light of prevailing policies and guidance.

 

No representations were made in respect of the application in accordance with the Council’s scheme of public speaking at Planning Committee meetings.

 

DECISION: Members voted unanimously in agreement with the Officer’s recommendation of refusal.

92/22

Mattishall: Rimington 93 Dereham Road: Reference: 3PL/2022/0220/HOU pdf icon PDF 85 KB

Minutes:

Conversion from bungalow into house with front and rear extensions and detached garage with annex above.

 

Consideration was given to the report presented by Simon Wood, Director of Planning & Building Control.

 

Members considered the matter and fully explored the details of the application in light of prevailing policies and guidance.

 

Representations were made in respect of the application in accordance with the Council’s scheme of public speaking at Planning Committee meetings:

 

Ward Representative:             Councillor Paul Plummer

 

Applicant’s Agent:                   Howard Cardus (S Moore Architectural Services)

 

Objector:                                 Suzanne Askair

 

DECISION: Members voted unanimously for refusal against the Officer’s recommendation of approval.

 

REASONS: The proposal was considered to have a detrimental impact on the character of the area and street scene in terms of its unacceptable design, being considered overdevelopment of the application site, which fails to improve the character and quality of the area, contrary to Policies COM01 and GEN02 of the Breckland Local Plan and policies HOU4 and HOU6 of the Mattishall Neighbourhood Plan.

 

The proposal was considered to result in an unacceptable impact on the amenity of neighbouring properties, contrary to Policy COM03 of the Breckland Local Plan and policies HOU4 and HOU6 of the Mattishall Neighbourhood Plan.

 

DECISION: Refused.

93/22

Applications determined by the Executive Director of Place (Agenda item 11) pdf icon PDF 102 KB

Report of the Executive Director of Place.

 

Members are requested to raise any questions at least two working days before the meeting to allow information to be provided to the Committee.

Minutes:

Noted.

94/22

Appeals (for information) (Agenda item 12) pdf icon PDF 42 KB

Minutes:

Noted.