Agenda and minutes

Venue: The Breckland Conference Centre, Anglia Room, Elizabeth House, Walpole Loke, Dereham, NR19 1EE

No. Item


Minutes pdf icon PDF 148 KB

To confirm the Minutes of the meeting held on 21 March 2022.


The minutes of the meeting held on 21 March 2022 were confirmed as a correct record and signed by the Chairman.



To receive apologies for absence. 




Urgent Business

To note whether the Chairman proposes to accept any item as urgent business, pursuant to Section 100(B)(4)(b) of the Local Government Act 1972.




Declaration of Interests

The duties to register, disclose and not to participate for the entire consideration of the matter, in respect of any matter in which a Member has a disclosable pecuniary interest are set out in Chapter 7 of the Localism Act 2011.  Members are also required to withdraw from the meeting room as stated in the Standing Orders of this Council.



Nothing to declare.


Non-Members Wishing to Address the Meeting

To note the names of any non-members who wish to address the meeting.


The Chairman welcomed all non-members present to the meeting.


Chairman's Announcements (If Any)




Breckland Community Funding Applications (Standing Item)

To consider the grants put forward (if any). 


Councillor Alison Webb, Executive Member for Housing, Health and Communities provided an update for Members on the Platinum Jubilee grants.  There had been an amazing response and successful applicants would be notified by the end of the coming week.


Match funding would be open for grants early May that would see the same structure as previously where grants of up to £5,000 were available.


Councillor Birt said that Ovington Parish Council had put together a Jubilee committee but were unable to submit an application as the Parish Council were not permitted to apply.


Councillor Webb responded to inform that whilst there were some requirements where groups were unable to apply, Officers had been able to support organisations with their applications.


The Chairman added that the Communities team had been available to support the community groups in their applications.


Councillor Borrett added that Parish Councils were not able to apply for the Platinum Jubilee funding as it was only available for voluntary groups.  He suggested that Ovington Parish Council applied for match funding.


Councillor Bambridge said he had been aware of three groups within his ward who had also required support with their applications so approached the Communities team and in all cases were able to submit an application. 


HSHAZ Swaffham Conservation Area Appraisal (CAA), Conservation Area Management Plan (CAMP) and Masterplan Final Documents pdf icon PDF 442 KB

Report of Cllr Paul Claussen, Deputy Leader & Executive Member for Economic Development & Growth.

Additional documents:


Councillor Paul Claussen, Deputy Leader and Executive Member for Economic Development and Growth introduced the report that sought approval of Members to approve and sign off and adopt the Swaffham Conservation Area Appraisal and Management Plan and to agree and sign off the Public Realm Masterplan.


Evie Hayman shared a presentation with Members that provided background information on the process that had been taken and explained how the community had helped shaped the informed decision to be made. 


Stephanie Edwards, from Urban Symbiotics, was in attendance and shared a detailed presentation of the project with Members.  


Members heard that residents of Swaffham had been engaged through focus groups and surveys to understand the needs and wants of Swaffham and rediscover the heritage that Swaffham holds.


Three separate handbooks had been produced that outlined the Masterplan strategies, Spaces and activities on how areas around Swaffham would be utilised to re-balance the public realm.


Andrew Holdsworth, Assistant Director for Economy and Growth added that the project had provided a strong set of tools that would be used with partners to take Swaffham forward. 


Councillor Sherwood said that as a Swaffham Ward Member felt the engagement had been exceptional.  He was delighted that the Council and the project had recognised the strengths of the market town and that through working with partners would achieve results for the community.


Councillor Cowen was delighted to see the documents had been driven by residents and hoped it would be the start of similar documents across the district.  The Market Towns would regenerate the economy of the district and was essential to make it happen.


Councillor Birt was interested in the buildings and felt the documents had failed to recognise that it did not have to conform to the framework.  He had noted that the report had made no direct link with carbon footprint and asked how the definition of solar panels fitted with the statement of no effect to carbon made.  He would like to have seen a section relating to climate mitigations and what could be done.


Simon Wood, the Director of Planning and Building Control explained that when dealing with historic assets there was a need to preserve or enhance the historic element.  There were a number of policies that would need to be considered when applying the balance including the Council priorities and the Local Plan.


Councillor Hewett added that the collaborative document would allow residents and communities to thrive and would place Swaffham firmly on the map as a 21st century market town.


Councillor Birt felt that a key issue would be the movement of traffic and dealing with parked vehicles and asked where the cars would go so it did not adversely affect the Town.


Stephanie Edwards responded to say that there had been a strong emphasis on allowing movement in and around Swaffham.  The activity would include improved signage and routes to ensure that cars moved fluidly around the town.


Councillor Borrett said the Covid outbreak had demonstrated that  ...  view the full minutes text for item 43/22


Anglia Revenues and Benefits Partnership pdf icon PDF 169 KB

To note the minutes of the Anglia Revenues and Benefits Partnership meeting held on 1 March 2022.


The minutes of the Anglia Revenues and Benefits Partnership meeting held on 1 March 2022 were noted.


Partnership Working through S113 agreement pdf icon PDF 208 KB

Report of Cllr Philip Cowen, Executive Member for Finance, Revenues and Benefits.


Councillor Philip Cowen, Executive Member for Finance, Revenue and Benefits presented the report that asked Members to consider the approval of a Section 113 Agreement with Norwich City Council for ARP to continue to provide fraud services.



1)    That Cabinet approves entering into a Section 113 agreement with Norwich City Council for ARP to provide fraud services to Norwich City Council.

2)    Do Nothing


Reasons for Recommendation(s)

Option 1 is recommended as it offers the following benefits:


·         Norwich city Council will provide funding in respect of ARP time to provide a fraud service.

·         This provides ARP future opportunity for the provision of shared services with other Councils.


RESOLVED that entering into a Section 113 agreement with Norwich City Council for Anglia Revenues Partnership to provide fraud services to Norwich City Council be approved.



Next Meeting

To note that the date of the next meeting of Cabinet will be held on Monday 6th June at Attleborough Town Council, Town Hall, Queen's Square, Attleborough NR17 2AF (time to be confirmed).


The arrangements for the next meeting on Monday 6 June in the Attleborough Town Hall, Queen's Square, Attleborough NR17 2AF were noted.  There will be an opportunity for public questions from 9.30am and the main meeting will commence at 10.00am.


Exclusion of Press and Public

To consider passing the following resolution:


“That under Section 100(A)(4) of the Local Government Act 1972, the press and the public be excluded from the meeting for the following item of business on the grounds that it involves the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in paragraph 3 of Schedule 12A to the Act”.





This item was not required.


Partnership working through a S113 agreement

Report of Cllr Philip Cowen, Executive Member for Finance, Revenues and Benefits.


This item was not required.