Sale of Breckland Council-owned land at St Giles Lane Car Park, Thetford
Meeting: 20/11/2012 - Cabinet (Item 127)
Report of Mark Kiddle-Morris, Executive Member for Assets & Strategic Development.
The Executive Member for Assets & Strategic Development presented the report which sought approval for the transfer of Council-owned land at St Giles Lane Car Park in Thetford to Thetford Town Council.
The land in question consisted of one car parking space which would be removed and replaced with one tree. The tree would be a backdrop to the new bell tower which was being created and built in place of the existing brick archway between Kings Street and St Giles Street.
To dispose of the identified land by transfer to Thetford Town Council for nil consideration in furtherance of the Kings Street Enhancement Scheme, provided Breckland Council’s legal transaction fees were paid for by Thetford Town Council and also the value of the Council’s contribution of £1500.00 was attributed to the project but not received as consideration from the Project Manager/Project.
Do not dispose of the land and retain the land and the ownership and maintenance liabilities which would be incurred in managing the tree in the future.
- The land where the tree was being planted would then be owned by Thetford Town Council so it would therefore be responsible for future maintenance of the tree and its liabilities and associated costs.
- There would only be one car parking space lost.
- This would support the wider Moving Thetford Forward Programme and specifically the King Street Enhancement project.
- The difference in value from the market value of £1500.00 was minimal.
- It demonstrated further partnership working.
RESOLVED that the Council-owned land at St Giles Car Park in Thetford be transferred to Thetford Town Council at nil consideration in furtherance of the Kings Street Enhancement Scheme; subject to:
1) Thetford Town Council paying for Breckland Council’s legal transaction fees; and
2) the value of the Council’s contribution of £1500.00 be attributed to the project but not received as consideration from the Project Manager/Project.