Housing Renewal Policy
Meeting: 15/09/2009 - Cabinet (Item 83)
Report of the Executive Member for the Economic, Health and Housing Portfolio (Paul Claussen).
The Principal Environmental Health Officer presented the report which concerned a review of the Housing Renewal Policy and the incorporation of an equity release scheme as part of a Norfolk Local Area Agreement initiative.
It was explained that the Environmental Health Team would be gradually renewing or revising all of its policies in the near future. This particular policy had been revised and was not connected to the disabled facilities grant.
1) To adopt the new policy and equity release scheme which reflected current legislative provision widened the scope of available assistance.
2) Not to adopt the new Policy.
1) To enable the Council to offer assistance to help vulnerable households to maintain their properties, enhance their quality of life and to prevent deterioration of Breckland’s private housing stock.
2) The inclusion of the Equity Release Programme tapped into an additional £1million external funding stream as part of a joint bid by the seven District Councils to assist in meeting the Norfolk LAA target for Decent Homes. It further increased the potential interventions the Council could make to help maintain the private sector stock (an issue identified in the recent CAA audit).
3) The continuation of the existing schemes and the addition of the equity release option demonstrated the Council’s commitment to improve and maintain the private sector stock. The latest stock condition survey indicated that 17% of the private stock fails the Decent Homes standard.
RESOLVED that the Housing Renewal Policy and the Enhance Equity Release Scheme be adopted.