VE/VJ Day 75th Anniversary Celebrations 2020
Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: Yes
To consider the decision to offer a £30k
VE and VJ celebratory grant scheme in 2020
1. Grant for a £30,000 VE and VJ Day celebratory grant scheme for community events to commemorate the 75th Anniversary of the end of World War II; the 80th Anniversary of Dunkirk and Battle of Britain, in 2020 be approved,
2. The VE and VJ Day, and the Dunkirk and Battle of Britain celebratory grant scheme be administered by the Norfolk Community Foundation (NCF).
Reasons for the decision:
1. Breckland Council has a rich historic alliance with the armed forces, as well as a strong track record of facilitating such commemorative activity within our communities in the recent past. This grant scheme will build on those which have gone before it and maximum the amount of Breckland residents able to participate in the national celebrations.
2. The NCF are experts in grant management and administration and would provide both a better service to the community, and better value for money, through the ability to signpost groups to a wider number of available grant schemes.
3. The decision would allow current council resources to be better focussed on more proactive and preventative work with local communities and partner agencies, in particular around health and social care agenda, rather than administration of the grants scheme.
Alternative options considered:
1. Approve the recommended VE and VJ Day celebratory grant scheme.
2. Approve the VE and VJ Celebratory Grant scheme outlined in the report and recruit a 0.25 Communities Officer resource to manage and administrate the scheme internally at a cost of £8,652.
3. Do nothing.
Report author: Stefan Clifford
Publication date: 14/10/2019
Date of decision: 14/10/2019
Decided at meeting: 14/10/2019 - Cabinet
Effective from: 22/10/2019