RIPA Policy update
Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: Yes
To receive an update on the Policy
1) the Executive Manager, Governance be instructed to update the RIPA Policy and Procedures to reflect the recommendations of the Officer of the Surveillance Commissioner (OSC);
2) the Executive Manager, Governance be instructed to report annually to Executive Members on the number of RIPA authorisations and on the fitness of the Policy and Procedures; and
3) in between annual reports, any activity be reported to the Executive Member, Governance.
Reasons for the decision:
To ensure that the Council’s Policy and Procedures are fit for purpose and compliant with current legal requirements and guidance.
Alternative options considered:
· To approve the recommendations
· To leave the Policy and Procedures unchanged. In view of the fact that all of the proposed amendments have been approved or proposed by the OSC, this option is not recommended.
Report author: Mark Stinson
Publication date: 17/10/2017
Date of decision: 17/10/2017
Decided at meeting: 17/10/2017 - Cabinet
Effective from: 25/10/2017