Sale of Breckland Council-owned land at St Giles Lane Car Park, Thetford
Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: Yes
To consider the transfer of Breckland Council-owned land at St Giles Car Park in Thetford to Thetford Town Council at nil consideration (against a market valuation of £1500.00)
That the Council-owned land at St Giles Car Park in Thetford be transferred to Thetford Town Council at nil consideration in furtherance of the Kings Street Enhancement Scheme; subject to:
1) Thetford Town Council paying for Breckland Council’s legal transaction fees; and
2) the value of the Council’s contribution of £1500.00 be attributed to the project but not received as consideration from the Project Manager/Project.
Reasons for the decision:
- The land where the tree is being planted would then be owned by Thetford Town Council so it would therefore be responsible for future maintenance of the tree and its liabilities and associated costs.
- There is only one loss of one car parking space.
- This will support the wider Moving Thetford Forward Programme and specifically the King Street Enhancement project.
- The difference in value from the market value of £1500.00 is minimal.
- It demonstrates further partnership working.
Alternative options considered:
To dispose of the identified land by transfer to Thetford Town Council for nil consideration in furtherance of the Kings Street Enhancement Scheme, provided Breckland Council’s legal transaction fees are paid for by Thetford Town Council and also the value of the Council’s contribution of £1500.00 is attributed to the project but not received as consideration from the Project Manager/Project.
Do not dispose of the land and retain the land and the ownership and maintenance liabilities which will be incurred in managing the tree in the future.
Report author: Ralph Burton
Publication date: 22/11/2012
Date of decision: 20/11/2012
Decided at meeting: 20/11/2012 - Cabinet
Effective from: 30/11/2012