Car Parking Orders
Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
To amend the Car Parking Orders in relation to 2 car parks for a trial basis.
1. To agree, in principle, that the Breckland District Council (Off-Street Parking Places) Order 2014 be amended in relation to the car parks at Queens Square, Attleborough and Market Place, Pedlars and Pit Lane, Swaffham to limit car parking at these locations between the hours of 8am and 6pm to 2 hours with no return for 1 hour, except for disabled person’s vehicles which shall be limited to 3 hours with no return for 1 hour, and to enable the waiting limits to be enforced accordingly.
2. That the draft notice of proposals and statement of reasons attached to this report be approved.
3. That the relevant officers be authorised to undertake the necessary consultation and equality impact assessment.
4. That unless in the opinion of the Executive Member of Place (Health Lead) any significant issues are raised during the consultation process which necessitate a further report to Cabinet, the Facilities Manager and Place Manager be authorised individually, following consultation with the Executive Member of Place (Health Lead), to determine whether or make the proposed Order taking into account all objections and representations received during the consultation period and the proposed equality impact assessment.
Reasons for the decision:
By amending the Car Parking Orders and enforcing the restricted use of these town car parks, it should result in the increased use by visitors to the market towns. The reasons for making the order are set out in full in the Statement of Reasons attached to this report.
Alternative options considered:
1. That the Car Parking Orders for Car Parks at Queens Square, Attleborough, Market Place, Swaffham, Pedlars, Swaffham and Pit Lane, Swaffham be amended to limit car parking at these locations to 2 hours between the hours of 0800 to 1800 hours.
2. That the Council do not amend the Car Parking Orders as far as the current times are concerned, but attempt to take enforcement action on the Car Parking Orders in place at present.
3. That the Council consider amending the Car Park Orders to install pay and display parking machines and enforcement throughout the District, which again will increase availability of spaces on a short stay basis.
4. Do nothing
Report author: Kirsty Porter
Publication date: 03/01/2018
Date of decision: 02/01/2018
Decided at meeting: 02/01/2018 - Cabinet
Effective from: 11/01/2018