Concessionary Bus Fares
Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
The report provided an update on recent changes to the concessionary bus fares scheme and sought clarification on areas where discretionary concessions might be applied.
RECOMMEND to Council that:
1) the surplus budget be reallocated to assist the Council’s efficiency plan conditional upon the need to fund discretionary enhancements to the community transport scheme;
2) the concession for eligible pass holders to use the Thetford to Norwich National Express coach service be allowed;
3) the flexibus services be continued to attract concessionary travel even though these services no longer form part of the national statutory scheme; and
4) concessions be allowed to continue to operate from 8.30 prior to the core start time of the statutory scheme.
Reasons for the decision:
§ To aid budget management and reallocation of surplus resources
§ To clarify instructions issued to the bus operators and the scheme administrator
§ Granting of the concessions would support the Council’s Strategic Business Plan and help it develop flourishing rural communities by improving access to services for people who lived in villages, especially those who are older, disabled or suffer from health problems. It would ensure that people who lived in villages enjoyed reasonable access to basic services
Alternative options considered:
1) To remove the surplus budget to assist the Council’s efficiency plan.
2) To grant discretionary concessions to allow the continuation of concessions that were previously in the statutory scheme (advantages and disadvantages had been set out in the report at Appendix A). All concessions encourage the use of public transport and support environmental objectives by providing alternative means of transport to private cars as well as supporting the development of prosperous communities.
3) Not to grant these concessionary concessions.
Publication date: 14/05/2009
Date of decision: 12/05/2009
Decided at meeting: 12/05/2009 - Cabinet