Norfolk Supporting People Strategy 2008-2011
Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: No
To invite Members to consider and agree the Supporting People Strategy and recommend it to Council for approval.
Recommend to Council that the Norfolk Supporting People Strategy 2008-2013 be adopted.
Reasons for the decision:
1) The Supporting People Programme is the predominant funding stream available to provide new supported housing services to Breckland’s most vulnerable residents. Availability of services through the Supporting People Programme is a key driver for improvements to the Council’s homelessness and housing advice, housing register and private sector housing services.
2) Norfolk is a pathfinder for the integration of the Supporting People Programme into the Local Area Agreement (LAA) structure and as a result from April 2008 the Programme Grant (£16.3m per annum) will be managed as if it was part of the new Area Based Grant. The actual merger of funding in April 2009 will depend on the outcome of the Norfolk and other pathfinders. In order to be able to influence the direction of travel and demonstrate our clear commitment to the LAA process, it is recommended that the Council support the priorities for the Supporting People Programme contained in the Strategy.
3) Of the indicators proposed for the Norfolk Local Area Agreement, NI141 (proposed as one of the 35 National Indicators) and NI142 (proposed as a local indicator) cover the Supporting Independent living agenda. The Norfolk Supporting People Programme will be the main delivery vehicle for delivering outcomes against these measures, with the aim to provide better value and more integrated approaches to meeting service users’ needs.
Alternative options considered:
1) To agree to adopt the Norfolk Supporting People Strategy 2008-2013, demonstrating Breckland Council’s commitment to its Commissioning Body Role, improving services for vulnerable residents and a commitment to delivering the Norfolk Local Area Agreement.
2) To not agree to adopt the Norfolk Supporting People Strategy 2008-2013, recognising the inherent risk for Breckland in failing to uphold the memorandum of understanding in existence between the Council and Norfolk County Council. To not agree to adopt the Norfolk Supporting People Strategy would also present difficulties to the Council in demonstrating partnership working against the independent living national indicators proposed under the Norfolk Local Area Agreement.
Report author: Anita Brennan
Publication date: 12/06/2008
Date of decision: 10/06/2008
Decided at meeting: 10/06/2008 - Cabinet