Strategic Housing Solutions
Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
To agree key steps in progressing the Council’s approach to supporting housing solutions for residents.
1) Breckland District Council becomes a Registered Provider (of Social Housing), and delegates to the Executive Director, in consultation with the Executive Member for Housing & Homelessness, application via the Regulator of Social Housing
2) an updated Tenancy Strategy as set out in Appendix A of the report be agreed.
3) the Tenancy Policy as set out in Appendix B of the report be agreed.
4) the Local Lettings Plan as set out in Appendix C of the report be agreed.
5) Delegated Authority be given to the Executive Director, in consultation with the Executive Member for Housing & Homelessness, authority to take the necessary steps to implement the above.
Reasons for the decision:
Becoming an Registered Provider will allow Breckland to effectively manage the implications of the residential units acquired through the Local Authority Housing Fund. The delegated authority would allow for the necessary application to be submitted, and for the subsequent work to be carried out to establish this new way of working.
The amended Tenancy Strategy, the Tenancy Policy and Local Lettings Plan are required to ensure that Breckland has the necessary documentation in place to enable it in its new role as an Registered Provider and let properties.
Alternative options considered:
Option 1 – As set out in the report, take the necessary steps to become a Registered Provider, and establish the required strategy and policy documents to provide robust and transparent housing service to residents.
Option 2 – Do nothing. Not recommended as the Council would be acting against clear advice from the regulator and would not receive the associated benefits of becoming a Registered Provider.
Report author: Jack Fulham
Publication date: 03/07/2023
Date of decision: 03/07/2023
Decided at meeting: 03/07/2023 - Cabinet
Effective from: 11/07/2023