Council Health and Wellbeing Support (Smoking-Free Policy)
Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: Yes
To outline the rationale and impacts for making our council smoke-free and to seek Cabinet agreement for implementing a supporting policy to enable this to happen.
RESOLVED that the Smoke-free Policy, as set out in Appendix A of the report, be implemented and the following recommendations be approved:
1) To encourage and proactively support our staff to quit smoking with the support of Smokefree Norfolk, the NHS and other local support organisations.
2) To designate Elizabeth House - including its car park and outdoor areas - as a completely smoke-free site.
3) To ensure staff only take smoking breaks in their own time and away from Elizabeth House.
4) To permanently remove the smoking shelter at Elizabeth House and make the area an outdoor space for staff to use.
5) To include e-cigarettes and vaping in the list of prohibited activity in the Council's Smoke-free Policy.
6) To positively encourage adherence to the policy, but where necessary, enforce compliance through existing staff disciplinary procedures, or the code of conduct.
Reasons for the decision:
To improve the wellbeing of our staff, bring consistency to our approach to staff breaks and have a more attractive council site.
Alternative options considered:
Option 1: Do nothing.
Option 2: Implement the Smoke-free policy, from June 2021.
Report author: Susie Bangs
Publication date: 21/06/2021
Date of decision: 21/06/2021
Decided at meeting: 21/06/2021 - Cabinet
Effective from: 29/06/2021