Norfolk FA Artificial Grass Pitch project – Breckland Leisure Centre & Waterworld
Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
To consider making funds available to
contribute towards the installation of an Artificial Grass Pitch at
Breckland Leisure Centre
Cabinet agree to release funds of up to the amount of £96,000 from the community reserve for the redevelopment of the Multi Use Games Area (MUGA) site at Breckland Leisure Centre & Waterworld, Thetford with a third-generation (3G) Artificial Grass Pitch (AGP) being installed at its replacement.
Cabinet Recommends to Full COUNCIL: to accept all grant funding including the contribution from Parkwood and set up necessary budgets to spend the grant.
Reasons for the decision:
1) The non-technical feasibility report delivered from TRI-Sports showed a potential significant increase in participation that could see an increase from 45% to 80% hire rate at the facility.
2) The Football Association training model estimates that there is need for four full sized 3G artificial grass pitches within the Breckland District area. Current supply shows there is one full-sized pitch based at Dereham Neatherd High School, with a second small-sized pitch based at Dereham Northgate High School.
3) The existing Multi Use Games Area (MUGA) was laid in 2006 with no evidence of ever being resurfaced. The Neil Allen Associates report from 2017 identified that the average age for a pitch carpet is 6-10 years, dependent on the level of use. This means the existing MUGA is at the end of its expected lifecycle.
4) The overall cost for this project would cost £440k without the local football facilities plan initiative from the Football foundation. This initiative essentially allows this project to be completed and a high spec new facility to be built for £96k.
Alternative options considered:
1) Agree the release of funds to part contribute to the installation of a 3G Artificial Grass Pitch in replacement of the existing Multi Use Games Area at Breckland Leisure Centre & Waterworld, Thetford.
2) Do nothing.
Report author: Ben Cooper-Welch
Publication date: 14/10/2019
Date of decision: 14/10/2019
Decided at meeting: 14/10/2019 - Cabinet
Effective from: 22/10/2019