Market Town Initiative - Grant Re-allocation
Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
To seek Cabinet support for the further development of the Breckland Market Town Initiative Programme.
1) That Cabinet support the further development of the Breckland Market Town Initiative Programme;
2) That Cabinet recommend to Council that the Pride in Breckland programme is concluded and that the residual funding held in reserve for this programme is reallocated to the Market Town Initiative.
Reasons for the decision:
Our high streets and town centres are facing serious challenges from out-of-town shopping centres and the growth of online and mobile retailing. Our market towns and high streets need to be vibrant places with a strong economy and offer something that neither shopping centres nor the internet can match.
Alternative options considered:
1. Do nothing. The market town initiative will not be developed and the funding will remain held in reserve for the Pride in Breckland programme.
2. The report recommends the following options:
- That Cabinet support the development of the Breckland Market Town Initiative programme;
- That the Pride in Breckland programme is concluded and that the residual funding held in reserve for this Programme is reallocated to the Market Town Initiative.
Report author: Rob Walker
Publication date: 11/07/2017
Date of decision: 10/07/2017
Decided at meeting: 10/07/2017 - Cabinet
Effective from: 19/07/2017