Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)
Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
To inform the Council about the Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL), to identify what was needed in order to implement a CIL in Breckland, including a suggested timetable for implementation.
Approval was sought for the formation of a ‘Working Group’ of Cabinet to lead the research and development of the CIL and make recommendations to Council accordingly.
1) the research and development of a Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) for Breckland Council be approved;
2) a CIL Steering Group be formed (which would be a sub-group of Cabinet, to reduce the length of the approval procedure) to lead the research and development of the CIL and make recommendations to Council accordingly;
3) the membership of the Steering Group to include the Executive Member for the Planning, Health and Housing Portfolio and the Executive Member for the Economic and Commercial Portfolio; and
4) the sum of £23,430 be released from the Organisational Development Review Reserve to cover the cost of implementing the CIL in stages.
Reasons for the decision:
All local authorities would need to have CIL schedules in place by 2014 if they wanted to secure contributions from landowners and developers towards the costs of infrastructure projects.
A CIL would provide the Council with a mechanism of funding shortfalls in infrastructure to support the growth in Breckland by charging developers.
If CIL or another charge was not taken forward, the Council would need to investigate other ways of funding any shortfall in infrastructure requirements from new development.
Alternative options considered:
1) To approve the research and development of a Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) for Breckland Council, with the formation of a Sub-Group of Cabinet.
2) Not to approve the research and development of a CIL.
Report author: Mark Stokes
Publication date: 02/12/2010
Date of decision: 30/11/2010
Decided at meeting: 30/11/2010 - Cabinet
Effective from: 10/12/2010