Agenda and minutes

Venue: The Anglia Room, Conference Suite, Elizabeth House, Dereham NR19 1EE

Items
No. Item

24.

Minutes (Agenda Item 1) pdf icon PDF 85 KB

To confirm the Minutes of the meeting held on 19 May 2011.

Minutes:

Subject to including David Ovenden in the list of Members Present, the Minutes of the meeting held on 19 May 2011 were confirmed as a correct record.

25.

Apologies (Agenda Item 2)

To receive apologies for absence.

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Ian Clarke, Jonathan Clemo, Paul Durham (Tim Peacock in attendance as substitute), Rik Martin, David Ovenden (George Hayes in attendance as substitute), Jo Richardson (Eve Dewsnap in attendance as substitute), Linda Rogers, Neill Stott (Paul Tracey in attendance as substitute) and Tony Trotman.

26.

Urgent Business (Agenda Item 3)

To note whether the Chairman proposes to accept any items of urgent business.

Minutes:

Mark Fretwell, Partnership (LSP) Officer, informed the Board that he had received a request from Job Centre Plus to join the Partnership.

 

RESOLVED that a representative from Job Centre Plus be appointed as a full voting member of the Local Strategic Partnership Board.

27.

Declaration of Interest (Agenda Item 4)

Members are asked at this stage to declare any interests they may have in any of the following items on the agenda.

Minutes:

John Rogers declared a personal interest in Agenda Item 6(b) Thetford Healthy Town by virtue of being a Watton Town Councillor.

28.

Items for Future Agendas (Agenda Item 5)

To agree items for inclusion on the next or future agenda.

Minutes:

This was a duplicate item and would be dealt with under Agenda Item 11.

29.

Performance Reporting (Agenda Item 6)

29a

Pride in Breckland Project pdf icon PDF 64 KB

Report by Rob Leigh, Community Development Manager.

Minutes:

Rob Leigh, Community Development Manager for Breckland Council, recapped the decision at the last meeting not to directly replace the Pride Co-ordinator but to broaden the scope of the post with a team approach. 

 

The recruitment process was complete and Stefan Clifford, Sports Development Officer for Breckland Council and Catherine Lang, Community Development Officer for Breckland Council would take on Pride duties in addition to their other roles.

 

All on-going projects were moving forward to timetable and a Pride Board meeting had been arranged for 11 August 2011 to discuss ideas for future projects.

 

Savings from not directly replacing the Co-ordinator’s post would be fed back into the Pride budget.

 

Members received an update on current projects which included a computer course for beginners originating in Beeston that could be rolled out across the district and some Breckland Blitz days for council staff which it was hoped would encourage other businesses to participate in similar events.

 

The report was noted.

29b

Thetford Healthy Town pdf icon PDF 47 KB

Report by Holly Gilbert and Carol Doherty, Thetford Healthy Town.

Minutes:

Holly Gilbert and Carol Doherty were in attendance to present the report on behalf of Tony Trotman, Healthy Town Manager.

 

Match funding from NHS Norfolk had been confirmed and work had commenced to engage with people in Watton, Swaffham and Dereham.  Partners were asked to pass on information about useful contacts for the Healthy Town team within those market towns.  The aim was to support community ownership of the Healthy Town project.

 

Within Thetford the different strands of the project continued to grow and evaluation of the benefits and outcomes was being carried out.

 

The food festival would be held on 27 August 2011 in the Market Place at Thetford and would include a competition for the best dressed fruit or vegetable.  It was hoped the festival would become an annual event.

 

Members were told about a young Bike-It Champion who had encouraged his extended family to get involved in cycling.  This had not only improved their health but also enriched their lives. 

 

A local teacher was promoting Thetford Healthy Town by wearing the branded t-shirt whilst she cycled from Lands End to John O’Groats.  The branding had proved to be a valuable marketing tool and this would provide additional publicity. 

 

Twitter and Facebook were also being used to market Thetford Healthy Town.

 

Mr Rogers asked if Watton Town Council had been invited to the Wayland Health partnership meeting noted at 5.5.1 of the report and Jan Godfrey advised that Michael Wassell (Mayor of Watton) had been in attendance.

 

Mark Fretwell, Partnership (LSP) Officer advised that a more detailed report would be presented to the next meeting.  He was pleased with the positive news that NHS Norfolk had committed to the funding and felt that the Board had made a good decision to agree to match fund the project.

 

The report was noted.

29c

Migration Impact Funding pdf icon PDF 58 KB

Report by Adam Jackson, Service Connector Manager.

Minutes:

Mark Fretwell, Partnership (LSP) Officer, presented the report as the Service Connector Manager was out on the One Stop Bus.

 

The META service was continuing to work well and Service Connectors were accompanying clients for Job Centre Plus and other appointments.  

 

The three month funding extension for the One Stop Bus had commenced.  The service was operating on Saturdays in the market towns.  Visitor numbers continued to rise and group sessions were being encouraged to accommodate larger numbers.  Various partners were expressing interest in joining the bus.

 

Discussions on the future of the bus, beyond September, were on-going and it was hoped that the service could continue.

30.

Constitution - Funding Allocation (Agenda Item 7)

To discuss current funding allocation arrangements.

Minutes:

Mark Fretwell, Partnership (LSP) Officer explained that at the previous meeting a question had been raised by Neill Stott and Linda Rogers about the way in which the Board allocated funding to projects.  They had asked for clarification of the process.

 

The Partnership (LSP) Officer had consulted the Constitution and advised Members of the wording in that, which said:

 

“The LSP can set up a sub-group to make recommendations about funding allocations to the LSP Board.  The LSP Board will make the final decision about funding bid applications (e.g. requests for grants) and allocating funding.”

 

There was a lack of formality to the Constitution which he felt allowed for flexibility and the fact that decisions were made by Members present at a meeting, encouraged attendance.  There were certain areas that were out of date, such as the Membership spread and he suggested that now might be an opportunity to look at the set-up of the Partnership and revise it as necessary.

 

George Hayes was concerned that not always the ‘right’ people were in attendance at meetings and that because the budget was available there might be a tendency to approve even weak projects.  He asked if there was a list of key criteria for projects.

 

The Partnership (LSP) Officer advised that the priorities were contained in the Sustainable Communities Strategy.  Everything funded by the Board had to meet those priorities.

 

After further discussion the Chairman suggested that Lynda Turner, as the relevant Portfolio Holder responsible for the LSP, should look at the structure of the Board.

 

Lynda Turner agreed and said that it would be healthy to review the LSP to make the best use of resources and avoid duplication of services.  She noted that there were a lot of members of the Board and a lot that were not present.  She suggested an independent review.

 

Shirley Matthews asked how much longer LSPs would be in existence and Eve Dewsnap advised that although all districts were reviewing their LSPs and some had decided to abolish them, it was up to individual areas to decide what worked best for them.  She offered to provide a summary of what was happening in the rest of the County.

 

RESOLVED that:

 

(1)               Lynda Turner would oversee an independent review of the LSP Board; and

(2)               Eve Dewsnap would liaise with Lynda to provide information of the reviews in other areas.

31.

Thetford Works! (Agenda Item 8) pdf icon PDF 56 KB

To receive a report / presentation from Keystone Development Trust.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Paul Tracey was in attendance to present the report on behalf of Neill Stott from Keystone Development Trust.

 

Paul worked for Cambridge University and was currently working with Keystone.  He explained the background to the report.

 

A number of different projects were being run to support people classed as ‘furthest from employment’ back into work.  The projects were focussed in areas of long-term unemployment in the local area.

 

The Keystone approach and methodology were explained in the report.  Time was taken to build relationships with each person.  The work clubs were an essential component of the projects and had started in November 2010.  There was now an adult and a school leavers work club with solutions tailored to specific problems.

 

The effectiveness of the clubs could be demonstrated by the fact that 67 clients had signed up since November 2010 and eight of those were now in employment and a further ten had been guided into volunteering opportunities.  This was considered to be a very good result and success was not just about getting people into employment, but also about building confidence and self-esteem.

 

Due to the significant demand Keystone was looking for ways to continue and extend the work clubs and were requesting £15,000 to enable three more work clubs: two in Thetford and one in Attleborough (although they could be flexible about locations).  The funding would pay for the support workers.

 

Tim Peacock asked what supporting evidence there was to prove the level of need in specific locations.  He thought the clubs were a great idea but felt that research was needed to identify areas most in need.  He also sought assurance that the clubs would benefit Breckland residents.

 

Paul Tracey agreed that when planning future clubs more evidence should be researched to decide on their location.  The current clubs had been situated on an estate known to have high unemployment levels.  They were willing to deliver anywhere although travel costs might have slight implications.

 

Tony Dickens asked how evidence for the right locations could be found and it was noted that the Office of National Statistics held data which might help.  Norfolk Insight (www.norfolkinsight.org.uk) also had a database which could be searched down to very small geographical areas.  (Information attached)

 

George Hayes asked if there was any connection between the work clubs and the NEAT programmes and Paul Tracey advised that the young persons clubs worked closely with Connexions and other agencies. 

 

Jan Godfrey asked how the clubs operated and was advised that there were 15 young persons at each club for six or seven, one-to-one sessions which were delivered once a week. 

 

Members debated the issues and various suggestions were made about potential areas for the additional clubs.  Some members wanted to ensure that Breckland residents benefitted from the additional clubs (there was some concern about Keystone’s links with Suffolk authorities).  There was also a clear desire for new clubs to be located where need was greatest.

 

The Chairman asked that these concerns were  ...  view the full minutes text for item 31.

32.

Participatory Budgeting (Agenda Item 9) pdf icon PDF 70 KB

To receive a report from Mark Fretwell, Partnership (LSP) Officer.

Minutes:

Mark Fretwell, Partnership (LSP) Officer presented the report which updated members on the Your Partnership Your Decision project.  Each of the five market towns had been allocated £5,000 and each town had made decisions on the applications received and which projects to support.


There had been an even spread of applications across the district. 30 of the 96 proposed projects had been successful in receiving funding.  Most had already received their funding and all projects would be reviewed and their outcomes would be promoted.

 

A further round of Participatory Budgeting was proposed and the Partnership (LSP) Officer felt that he would be more successful in attracting other funding if the Board would release a further £15,000 for the project.

 

Tony Dickens asked Jan Godfrey about the voting system used at Watton and she advised that to avoid the vote being skewed by people voting for their own project, they had been required to vote for two projects and in most cases, the project that had received the most second votes had been successful.  She thought that if the exercise was repeated they would do as Thetford had done and require people to vote for one town and one rural project.

 

RESOLVED to:

 

(1)               note the contents of this report;

 

(2)               provide further publicity to the successful projects that were funded through utilising a broad range of media and support those that were not funded;

 

(3)               undertake a further ‘Your Partnership Your Decision’ project within the district drawing on the experience of the previous two projects. (Subject to partners coming forward to offer their commitment through either a joint initiative, match funding or offering resources in-kind.)

 

(4)               allocate £15,000 in order to attract a partner funder to deliver another round of ‘Your Partnership Your Decision’ within Breckland.

33.

Budget (Agenda Item 10)

To receive an update on Partnership finances.

Minutes:

Mark Fretwell, Partnership (LSP) Officer advised members that there had been £152,000 rolled over from the previous year.  That figure would be reduced by his salary and on-costs, £50,000 allocated for Pride in Breckland and £12,000 set aside for Participatory Budgeting Year 2.

 

The LSP would receive around £95,000 in Second Homes Council Tax from NCC which would leave about £145,000 available.

 

The following funds had already been committed:

 

  • £15,000 for Thetford Healthy Town expansion
  • £10,000 (potentially) for the One Stop Bus
  • £15,000 for Thetford Works!
  • £15,000 for another round of Participatory Budgeting

 

The report was noted.

34.

Items for Future Agendas (Agenda Item 11)

To agree items for inclusion on the next or future agendas.

Minutes:

No suggestions were made.

35.

Next Meeting (Agenda Item 12)

To note that the next meeting of the LSP Board will be held on Thursday 22 September 2011 at 2.00 pm in the Anglia Room, Elizabeth House, Breckland Council.

Minutes:

The arrangements for the next meeting on 22 September 2011 were noted.