Agenda and minutes

Venue: Norfolk Room, The Conference Suite, Elizabeth House, Dereham

Contact: Member Services  01362 656870

Items
No. Item

87.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 67 KB

To confirm the Minutes of the meeting held on 31 August 2010.

Minutes:

The following points were noted:

 

Minute No 72/10 – discussions regarding the provision of a generator were on-going.  The Chairman requested that the District Emergency Planning Manager be invited to the next meeting to provide an update.

 

Minute No 74/10(a) – the launch of the new website had been postponed until the end of October as the data-cleanse was taking longer than expected.  There were also two outstanding technical issues to be resolved but they were not expected to cause further delays.

 

Minute No 74/10(b) – a conversation took place about asset ownership and how on going support would work and access to assets that Breckland might not own.

 

Minute No 86/10 – Lady Fisher was keen that the tender document should be revised to meet requirements and to align with the Council’s plans for the future.  The ICT Project Manager advised that due to the value of the project it would not require a tender process, but that a workshop had been arranged to work out the details of the requirements and a progress update would be provided to the next meeting.

 

The minutes of the meeting held on 31 August 2010 were confirmed as a correct record and signed by the Chairman.

 

 

 

88.

Apologies

To receive any apologies for absence. 

Minutes:

Apologies for absence had been received from Mr P Claussen.

 

89.

Urgent Business

To consider any urgent business.

Minutes:

There was no urgent business.  However, the Chairman noted that the Sub-Committee had been set up to be more business improvement orientated and he asked Officers to come up with proposals to give effect to that intention as he considered that the Sub-Committee was still too ICT focussed.

 

90.

Declaration of Interests

Members are asked at this stage to declare any interests they may have in any of the following items on the agenda. The Members’ Code of Conduct requires that declarations include the nature of the interest and whether it is a personal or prejudicial interest.

Minutes:

There were none.

 

91.

Non-Members Wishing to Address the Meeting

To note the names of any non-members who wish to address the meeting.

Minutes:

Mr P Duigan was in attendance.

 

92.

ICT Service Insourcing

Verbal update by the Head of ICT.

Minutes:

The ICT Project Manager advised Members that the first meeting had taken place with Steria staff and they were all aware of TUPE arrangements.

 

The Helpdesk component had been discussed and the Senior Business Improvement Officer was looking into the possibility of using Lagan to provide this facility.

 

Steria had provided an exit plan and their staff seemed to be more at ease, now that they knew the Council’s plans.

 

The Chairman asked if all the Steria staff would move across under the TUPE arrangements and was advised that Breckland would be required to follow TUPE regulations and the legal position was being checked but, the Council would maintain the resilience it required.

 

 

 

 

93.

Ocella Consultancy Days pdf icon PDF 69 KB

Report of the Deputy Chief Executive.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Chairman advised that although he was unable to attend the meeting the Executive Member for Planning, Health and Housing was keen for this item to be approved.

 

The ICT Project Manager explained that he had previously purchased 12 consultancy days from Ocella for IT purposes. These had worked very well and had all been used.

 

The report sought approval to release 50% of the money required to undertake additional development work to meet new legislative obligations.  As this work would also benefit Capita Symonds, they had agreed to provide 50% of the costs.

 

Members were concerned that approval of this expenditure would set a precedent.  There might be other, unexpected items that would require additional expenditure and these items were not included in the budget.

 

The Policy and Performance Manager explained that this request had arisen due to a change in legislation which was beyond the control of the Council.  The Ocella system remained in the Council’s ownership and therefore it retained the risk associated with controlling the system.

 

The Director of Corporate Resources asked what other costs might arise over the 15 years of the contract and it was agreed that it was necessary to monitor the situation to keep track of issues that had not formed part of the original Business Case.

 

It was agreed that the money should be released on a without prejudice basis, which did not set a precedent.  Future requests would be considered individually. 

 

The Head of Finance advised that as there was no money in the ICT or Planning budgets the decision would need to be made by Cabinet.  The Proforma B identified funds in the Organisational Development reserve which could be used.

 

RECOMMEND TO CABINET that £7,437.50 be released from the Organisational Development reserve to deliver the required development works needed for the Ocella system.

 

94.

ARP/ICT Support Provision

Update by the Head of ICT.

Minutes:

Discussions were on-going between Breckland and Forest Heath.

 

95.

Project Applications (Standing Item)

To consider new applications submitted (if any).

Minutes:

a)         ICT Refresh  (Item 14 on Agenda Supplement)

 

The Proforma B was tabled.

 

The Head of Finance was invited to join the meeting to clarify the terms of the proposed procurement.

 

The ICT Project Manager presented the report which sought the release of £89,000 from the 2010/11 refresh budget to upgrade key hardware at the Thetford site to provide greater supportability, resilience and growth for the ARP.

 

The Chairman asked the Head of Finance to explain this procurement and also to inform Members about the possibility of obtaining RIEP funding towards these costs.

 

The Head of Finance explained that as Forest Heath already had the funding approved they would procure the hardware for the project to allow Breckland and East Cambs to obtain release of funds to contribute to the costs in proportion to the partnership share.  This meant that the ownership of the asset would appear on Forest Heath’s balance sheet, although the other partners would use it under the partnership agreement, and Breckland would continue to support it. 

 

He added that he had been in discussion with Improvement East and he had been advised that a bid for funding was unlikely to be successful as the ARP was already a well established partnership that should be able to fund its ICT refresh itself.  He therefore advised that it would not be a good use of resource to prepare a bid.

 

It was confirmed that:

 

a)                 the remaining £106,164 was sufficient to meet the remaining 2010/11 refresh requirements; and

b)                 that detailed costing to identify the exact budget required, with any changes to the released amount, would be reported back to the Business Improvement Sub-Committee.

 

The Chairman sought assurance that the money for the Members’ refresh was still available.  The existing equipment was seven years old and would need replacing after the next elections.  He had asked the Chairmen of the Overview and Scrutiny Commission and the Audit Committee to set up a joint panel to look into this matter, to ensure a transparent process and to inform the public of the advantages and improvements that the new equipment would provide.

 

RESOLVED to release £89,000 to procure a VMware solution for Thetford/ARP, allowing migration of data and application prior to year end, and also provide the ability for growth.

 

b)         Upgrade of LAGAN Software for Customer Contact Centre (Item 15 on Agenda Supplement)

 

Lagan version 6 was currently used by the Council.  This version would not be fully supported from 2011.  The ICT Project Manager presented the report which sought the release of £30,000 to upgrade Lagan to version 8.

 

The Senior Business Improvement Officer pointed out that it was not just the Call Centre that used Lagan; there were about 190 users in the Council.  It was also linked to the existing telephony system which was to be replaced. 

 

The latest version of Lagan could also provide an ICT Service desk to replace the current Steria Helpdesk, at negligible cost.

 

The Policy and Performance Manager checked if  ...  view the full minutes text for item 95.

96.

Project Progress

Update on all live projects by the ICT Project Manager/BIT Team Lead.

Minutes:

The ICT Project Manager advised that there were several projects progressing. 

 

A current item to note was the Lalpac system which would shortly be tested to provide an external link enabling mobile working.  The Licensing project had gone very well and Lalpac were seeking assistance to develop the mobile working module. 

 

Other projects currently in progress were VM/Sanware, video conferencing, CR2000 and Gov Connect.  

 

A full report on these would be made to the next meeting.

 

97.

Service Performance

Update by the Head of ICT / Steria.

Minutes:

Nothing to report.

 

98.

Financial Performance pdf icon PDF 51 KB

Update by the Senior Accountant Capital and Treasury.

Minutes:

The Senior Accountant Capital and Treasury explained that currently the budget report focussed just on IT.  In future, information about revenue budgets and progress against efficiency targets would be included.

 

The Head of Finance said that the Head of ICT had provided a much more detailed breakdown and they were now assured that target savings could be made.

 

The ICT Project Manager advised that he might wish to access funding to meet the requirements of the next phase of the Gov Connect project. 

 

He was also awaiting quotes from suppliers in connection with the video conferencing project.  There was a possibility that some funding for this might be available from RIEP.

 

The Head of Finance agreed and said that his discussions with Improvement East had indicated a much more favourable outcome for this project and so a bid would be put forward.

 

The report was noted.

 

99.

Next Meeting

To note the arrangements for the next meeting on 2 November 2010.

Minutes:

The arrangements for the next meeting on Tuesday 2 November 2010 were noted.