Agenda and minutes

Venue: Norfolk Room, The Conference Suite, Elizabeth House, Dereham

Contact: Member Services  01362 656870

Items
No. Item

30.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 77 KB

To confirm the Minutes of the meeting held on 6 October 2009.

Minutes:

The minutes of the meeting held on 6 October 2009 were agreed as a correct record and signed by the Chairman.

 

The following points were noted:

 

(a)       Steria Service Review (Minute No 16/09(e))

 

The introduction of Citrix to Members had highlighted a number of new issues not previously experienced.  Roll out to all Members would be delayed until these had been overcome.  The benefits of using Citrix were reaffirmed as providing greater security, flexibility, management and speed. It was expected that Citrix would relieve a number of connectivity issues. The additional password protection allowed Breckland to meet government requirements and enabled the Breckland system to be securely accessed remotely from a variety of devices.  This combined with the Citrix model had wider benefits regarding further connectivity to other Public Sector bodies and was likely to underpin future mobile working initiatives.

 

(b)       Customer Access Strategy (Minute No 19/09)

 

It was confirmed that Breckland would participate in the ‘Tell Us Once’ pilot.  A meeting on 6 December would allocate team leaders.

 

An independent consultant had reviewed the telephony provision following high volumes of engaged calls and his report was expected later in the week.  His initial view was that the number of lines was not the issue - it was the way in which they were used that was limiting availability.  A report would be presented to the next meeting, incorporating the independent consultant’s findings.

 

(c)        BIT / ICT Projects  and Projects Review (Minute Nos 20/09 & 21/09)

 

The Chairman asked if red/green project reporting had been implemented into the TEN system.  RB had spoken to the Policy and Performance Manager and confirmed that all capital programmes were on TEN.  IT Projects were included but were not broken down individually but this would be incorporated by the next meeting.

 

It was noted that concerns had been raised because projects were being completed from an ICT perspective, but could not be closed as benefits proposed had not been realised by the service area.  RB said that this was covered within each Service Team’s Plan and the Policy and Performance Manager was making changes to ensure that benefits and outcomes could be tracked, with Service Heads expected to address any slippage issues via the Performance Management model.

 

31.

Apologies

To receive any apologies for absence. 

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Adam Colby and Kevin Rump.

 

32.

Urgent Business

To consider any urgent business.

Minutes:

At a meeting of the Capita Partnership Group held on 30 November 2009 an issue concerning the purchase of consultancy days for the Ocella system had been raised.

 

As ownership of the Ocella system remained with the Council, any money spent on it would need to provide benefit to the Council.  Responsibility for that benefit to Breckland was accepted and it was agreed that funding would be found.  (This had not been budgeted for in the ICT budget and would need to be sourced from elsewhere).  KT agreed to suggest to the Capita Partnership Group that they held three monthly reviews to raise future needs and to agree a strategic approach to ICT investment, with clear governance arrangements to provide an auditable approval process.  Outputs from these meetings would be reported to the Sub-Committee.

 

 

33.

Non-Members Wishing to Address the Meeting

To note the names of any non-members who wish to address the meeting.

Minutes:

Mr P Duigan.

 

34.

BIT/ICT Projects Review (Including Internet Refresh Update)

Verbal report by Kevin Taylor.

Minutes:

The Head of ICT had tabled a report which was self explanatory and gave details of the status of current projects.

 

Following on from the business discussed at Minute No 32/09 above KT suggested that if an issue was endorsed by the Capita Partnership Board it should come to the Sub-Committee for approval.

 

Members discussed Mobile working proposals and said that they should only be introduced where it was most appropriate and cognisant of potential home working opportunities.  It was noted that technology was only a small part of any mobile working solution and investment would need to be made in organisational change elements.  Mobile working solutions needed to be benefit driven as well as delivering reductions in carbon emissions, providing space saving and improving flexibility and productivity.   RB would discuss the scale of benefits with the Policy and Performance Manager.

 

MB was concerned that the revised IT Strategy draft was on the Exec Board agenda but that it was not tied into budget availability.  She said there was a lot of unallocated money and a need to assess if adequate investment was available.  KT agreed to provide more information separate from the Strategy.<1>

 

A report on shared service opportunities with NCC had been tabled and   discussion followed on the options available with NCC and other authorities.  A report on the potential BT cost elements was expected in January/February if available from Norfolk County Council.  RB said that a business case should be prepared by April 2010.

 

The Chairman suggested that a ‘mix and match’ approach to partnering might be the best way forward and asked officers to start evaluating the pros and cons of each option.

 

35.

Customer Access Strategy

Review of recent LAGAN meeting and progress report by Kevin Taylor.

Minutes:

MC reported that the Customer Access Strategy was now with the Communications Team.  Once their feedback was received she would be disseminating the Strategy to Service Managers.

 

36.

Application Forms (Standing Item)

Minutes:

KT reported that there were no application forms this month but that two would be coming forward soon: Choice Based Lettings and Digi-TV.

 

The Chairman reiterated that he felt that a standardised PID form should be used throughout the Council.

 

RB agreed to look into this and a Member asked him to include a post project appraisal section in his review of the forms.<1>

 

37.

Norfolk Heads of ICT / Local Authority Partnering

Vebal update by Kevin Taylor.

Minutes:

This item had been discussed at Minute No 34/09 above.

 

It was noted that the next meeting of the Norfolk Heads of ICT was being held later on in the day.

 

38.

Financial Performance

Verbal update.

Minutes:

A Financial Performance report was tabled by MB.  She explained that the budget for 2009/10 (£762,950) contained two unallocated figures: £106,164 for the Refresh project and 232,476 for the ICT Strategy.   A further £200,000 funding was being requested in the budget report going to Council.  MB pointed out that currently the total budget was forecast to be spent by 31 March 2010.  If an underspend was expected a report to Cabinet would be needed to request carry-over of funding.

 

KT agreed to meet with MB to work out the figures for the Capital project spending.<1>

 

A Member noted that the funding allocated for the Contact Service Centre infrastructure was currently on hold whilst the pilot scheme was reviewed.  A meeting was scheduled with finance to look at all the information and compare the costs at the different locations (Attleborough, Watton and Swaffham).

 

With regard to the Refresh programme, a new ChipPC was being trialled as an alternative to desk based PCs and laptops for Members.  These would work out at about one third the price and were much quicker to start up.

 

39.

Operational Performance / Steria Service Review pdf icon PDF 730 KB

Report presented by Kevin Taylor.

Minutes:

KT presented the report which showed stable service with no particular problems.  Once Citrix was rolled out to all Members it should substantially cut connectivity problems.

 

A representative from Steria would like to attend the next meeting to provide a demonstration of the VMware capability.

 

40.

Exclusion of Press and Public

To consider passing the following resolution:

 

“That under Section 100(A) of the Local Government Act 1972 the press and public be excluded from the meeting for the following item of business on the grounds that it involves the disclosure of exempt information as defined in Paragraph 3 of Part 1 of Schedule 12A to the Act”.

 

PART B – ITEMS FROM WHICH THE PRESS AND PUBLIC ARE EXCLUDED

Minutes:

RESOLVED that under Section 100(A)(4) of the Local Government Act 1972, the press and the public be excluded from the meeting for the following items of business on the grounds that they involved the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in Paragraph 3 of Part 1 of Schedule 12A to the Act.

 

41.

Council Tax - Benefit Realisation Status

Verbal update by Rob Barlow.

Minutes:

RB reported that this project was delivering benefits with over 90% of calls being dealt with at the first point of contact.  This had actually resulted in a reduction in the volume of calls to the back office Revenues and Benefits Team, although proof of this was being sought by colleagues in Forest Heath.

 

Officers were still working to provide the evidence to get agreement from Forest Heath to free up one post.

 

42.

Licensing Service Review and Progress to Date

Verbal report by Adam Colby and Kevin Rump.

Minutes:

An update on this project had been provided in the tabled report from KT.  Good progress was being made and the project was expected to complete in April 2010.

 

A meeting had been held with the suppliers to define the hardware requirements and costs.

 

43.

Next Meeting

To note that the next meeting will be held on Tuesday 5 January 2010 at 09.30am in the Norfolk Room, Conference Suite, Elizabeth House, Dereham.

Minutes:

It was noted that the next meeting would be on Tuesday 5 January 2010, at 09.30am in the Norfolk Room, Conference Suite, Elizabeth House, Dereham.