Agenda and minutes

Venue: Norfolk Room, The Conference Suite, Elizabeth House, Dereham

Contact: Committee Services  Tel: 01362 656870

No. Item


Minutes (Agenda Item 1) pdf icon PDF 64 KB

To confirm the minutes of the meeting held on 17 December 2014.


The Minutes of the meeting held on 17 December 2014 were confirmed as a correct record and signed by the Chairman.


Apologies (Agenda Item 2)

To receive apologies for absence. 


Apologies for absence were received from Councillors Skull and Steward.  Councillor Darby was present as substitute for Councillor Skull.


Declaration of Interests (Agenda Item 3)

Members are reminded that under the Code of Conduct they are not to participate and must leave the room, for the whole of an agenda item to which they have a Disclosable Pecuniary Interest. 


In the interests of transparency, Members may also wish to declare any other interests they have in relation to an agenda item, that support the Nolan principles detailed within the Code of Conduct.


No declarations were made.


Urgent Business (Agenda Item 4)

To note whether the Chairman proposes to accept any item as urgent business, pursuant to Section 100(B)(4)(b) of the Local Government Act 1972.




Non-Members wishing to address the Meeting (Agenda Item 5)

To note the names of any non-Members who wish to address the meeting.


Councillors Bambridge and R Richmond were in attendance.


Mr Roger Atterwill (Chairman of Swanton Morley Parish Council) was in attendance and invited to speak on Agenda Item 9.


Local Joint Consultative Committee : Date 29 January 2015 (Agenda Item 6)

To adopt the unconfirmed minutes of the Local Joint Consultative Committee meeting held on 29 January 2015.

Additional documents:


The Minutes of the Local Joint Consultative Committee (LJCC) meeting held on 29 January 2015 were tabled and Members were given time to read them.


The recommendation under Minute No 6/15 Health & Safety, would be considered when that item was discussed under Agenda Item 7.


The Chairman of the LJCC advised that an e-mail had been sent to the Assistant Director for Community raising concerns about the lack of security briefings for staff.  There did not seem to have been any action yet and he asked the Executive Member to look into the matter.


The Executive Member for Democratic Services & Pubic Protection confirmed that he would.


RESOLVED that the unconfirmed Minutes of the Local Joint Consultative Committee meeting held on 29 January 2015 be adopted.


Revised Health & Safety Policy (Agenda Item 7) pdf icon PDF 61 KB

Report of the Public Protection Manager.

Additional documents:


The Public Protection Manager presented the report. 


It was a statutory duty for the Council to have a Health & Safety Policy and responsibility for the Policy and service had been moved from HR to Public Protection.  The Policy had been reviewed and a few basic changes had been made to reflect the changes in the Council’s structure, the role of the Council and the changes in CMT roles and responsibilities.


The Policy was an overarching document which would be complimented by more detailed procedures on areas such as Lone Working, Driving and Mobile Phone use, etc.  Those procedures were all being refreshed in accordance with an agreed programme.


Councillor Williams (Chairman of LJCC) reiterated the points highlighted at the LJCC meeting, most of which had been raised by the Staff Side representatives:


·         The position of the defibrillator had been questioned and it had been requested that another could be purchased to be placed upstairs on the other side of the building.  The money could be raised by the staff forum.

·         There was a perception that there were not enough first aiders and there was no way of knowing which first aiders were in the building. 

·         The review process needed to be clearly imbedded in the Policy and all other Health & Safety related policies should be included in a matrix which made clear what their review dates were.


The Chairman pointed out that this was an overarching policy which provided a starting point for work on other procedures to be done.


Councillor Borrett thought that common sense needed to prevail.  It should not be necessary to specify behaviour in the Policy which was required by the law and there should just be a paragraph at the start of the Policy to say that all employees were expected to adhere to the law and to National legislation.


Councillor Williams asked a question about the quasi judicial nature of the Committee and the Legal Co-ordinator clarified the position for Members.


The Public Protection Manager responded to the suggestions from LJCC:


·         It was not a statutory obligation for the Council to provide a defibrillator.  It had been located in the lobby to the Committee Suite to provide out-of-hours access.  He would take the request for an additional defibrillator forward to the Health & Safety Steering Group.


·         The Council was fully compliant in terms of the number of first aiders.  A telephone ‘hunt group’ unique to first aiders was being investigated and updated photographs of first aiders would be put on the information posters. 


·         There was a procedural refresh schedule in operation and part of that process would be to determine the regularity of reviews.


·         It would not be a problem to add a headline to the Health & Safety Policy advising employees that they were expected to abide by the laws of the Country.


Councillor Bambridge, Executive Member for Democratic Services & Public Protection, pointed out that Corporate Health & Safety had only recently moved to Public Protection.  He was aware that some policies were out of date  ...  view the full minutes text for item 70.


Change of Name of Parish (Agenda Item 8) pdf icon PDF 57 KB

Report of the Executive Director for Commissioning & Governance.


The Legal Services Coordinator presented the report on behalf of the Electoral Services Manager.


A request had been received from Stow Bedon Parish Council to formalise their change of name to Stow Bedon & Breckles which was the name they had been operating under for some time.

The Council was not obligated to agree, but it had the power to approve the change and there was no reason not to.


Councillor Borrett asked about Options 2.2 and 2.3 in the report and it was confirmed that if the Committee agreed to approve the change a formal Order would be made.


RESOLVED that the name of the Parish Council be changed to Stow Bedon and Breckles; and


RECOMMEND TO COUNCIL that an ‘Order’ be made to effect the change of name from the date of the next parish elections.



Swanton Morley Community Governance Review - Final Recommendations (Agenda Item 9) pdf icon PDF 63 KB

Report of the Executive Director for Commissioning & Governance.


The Legal Services Coordinator presented the report which recommended an increase in the number of Swanton Morley Parish Councillors from seven to nine.  The change had originally been proposed at the meeting held on 12 November 2014.  The Council had carried out the two formal consultation stages required.


Mr Atterwill, Chairman of Swanton Morley Parish Council was invited to comment.  He confirmed that the Parish Council had not received any objections to the proposal.  He said that he had explained the reasons for the request at the earlier meeting and he was happy to answer any questions.


RESOLVED that the increase in size of Swanton Morley Parish Council from seven to nine be approved; and


RECOMMEND TO COUNCIL that an ‘Order’ be made to effect the change from the date of the next parish council elections.



Request to amend the Executive Vehicle Policy conditions and amend the Breckland Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Licensing Procedures (Agenda Item 10) pdf icon PDF 58 KB

Report of the Assistant Director Community.

Additional documents:


The Licensing Officer presented the report which proposed two changes; approval to create a new Taxi Stand in Thetford and remove the old stand and an exemption from the window tint conditions for Executive Private Hire vehicles.


The first request was made in the light of the redevelopment of land at Riverside, Thetford including the land on which the current bus station and taxi rank stood.  A new Bus Station terminal was being developed and permission was requested to include a new taxi rank at that site.


The second request was to allow an exemption from the tinted window requirements for Executive Private Hire vehicles.  Most vehicles for that category were manufactured with dark tinted windows for privacy.  Currently each request to licence such a vehicle had to be considered by the Appeals Committee as it required an exemption from the Policy.  The Appeals Committee had therefore requested an amendment to the policy. 


Councillor Carter noted that his main concern would be safety.  He asked that it be made clear that the exemption applied to Executive Private Hire vehicles only and not to taxis in general.




(1)               the Hackney Carriage Stands list be updated to include a new taxi stand for Thetford and the old stand details be removed from the list once it ceased to operate; and

(2)               an exemption from the window tint condition for vehicles being licensed under the Executive Private Hire Vehicle Policy be approved.




Next Meeting (Agenda Item 11)

To note that the next meeting will be held on 18 March 2015 at 10.00am in the Norfolk Room, Conference Suite, Elizabeth House, Dereham.


The arrangements for the next meeting on 18 March 2015 at 10.00am in the Norfolk Room, Conference Suite, Elizabeth House, Dereham were noted.