Match Funding Application - Thomas Paine Festival 2009
Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: Yes
The report considers a match funding application for the sum of £10,000 made by the Thetford Society to assist with the cost of celebrating the life of Thomas Paine; 2009 would be the 200th anniversary of his death.
That a revenue match funding sum of £10,000 to the Thetford Society to assist with the cost of celebrations for the anniversary of Thomas Paine be approved, subject to:
1) a maximum sum of £10,000 or 10% whichever is the lower;
2) confirmation of the total cost of the project;
3) the balance of all other funding being confirmed; and
4) the funding being allocated from the revenue 2008/09 match funding reserve.
Reasons for the decision:
This was a well considered application which showed good evidence of consultation which had been used to shape the activities and community involvement. There was a sound fit with the Council’s corporate objectives and the Thetford Society through the project group had given significant thought to the management arrangements that needed to be put in place.
Alternative options considered:
1) Not to support the proposal – the advantage in this approach would be that the Council could retain its funding. There were significant disadvantages in this approach principally in terms of poor publicity implicit in the Council not taking the opportunity to support a significant opportunity to celebrate a major event.
2) To support the application – the advantage of this option was that it would enable the Council to play an important part in supporting an event which fits well with its corporate objectives and contributed to the Council’s aims.
Publication date: 11/09/2008
Date of decision: 09/09/2008
Decided at meeting: 09/09/2008 - Cabinet
Effective from: 19/09/2008