Digital Communications Strategy
Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: Yes
To seek approval for the Breckland Digital Communications Strategy and implement associated actions.
(1) the recommendations as detailed at items (a), (b) and (c) of the report be deleted and :
(2) the recommendation as detailed at item (d) of the report be amended to read as follows:
a) to suspend the design, production and distribution of the Council’s magazine ‘Voice’ with immediate effect, pending current legalisation changes, and to allow further validation of communication channels to be available to Members to inform a final decision on the future of Voice; and
b) Officers to undertake a review of Communications staff and budgets across the Council to support the Strategy including areas as the Pride campaign.
Reasons for the decision:
Adoption of the digital strategy will ensure the Council explores and, where deemed appropriate, exploits all the opportunities which emerging digital technologies present. Each recommendation detailed within the report supports the shift towards increased use of digital technology for communication with the aim of increasing speed and quality of communication whilst minimising costs.
Alternative options considered:
- To adopt the Breckland Digital Communications Strategy and associated action plan.
- Do nothing.
- Approve the creation of a ‘digital newsroom’ for the Council.
- Do nothing.
- To rule out webcasting at this time due to annual costs but agree money set aside for the initial first year of webcasting to be used as a one off investment into developing other digital services at the Council.
- To rule out webcasting at this time due to annual costs and take the money set aside for the initial first year of webcasting as savings.
- To agree the principle of webcasting and ask Officers to procure the best value for money service. Agree to use the savings from Voice to finance the first year of webcasting and create a budget within the Democratic Services Directorate to finance future years.
- Do nothing.
- Cease design, production and distribution of the Council’s magazine ‘Voice’ with immediate effect and realise the savings budgeted for and reallocated staff time associated with the magazine to development of digital communications.
- Reduce the number of issues of Voice per year.
- Retail current levels of production of the Voice per year.
Report author: Dominic Chessum
Publication date: 09/05/2013
Date of decision: 07/05/2013
Decided at meeting: 07/05/2013 - Cabinet
Effective from: 17/05/2013