Breckland Community Car Schemes
Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
The Overview and Scrutiny Commission had considered a report on the Breckland Community Car Schemes and proposals for the future delivery of this service.
It was noted that seldom had any Council initiative been so unanimously supported; and it was agreed to recommend to Council that:
1) robust governance arrangements and legal agreements between Breckland Council and all scheme operators and volunteer drivers be put in place as a requirement to qualify for funding support, along the lines set out in paragraph 3.8.1 of the report;
2) the principle of substantial funding for new and existing Community Car Schemes, to include meeting costs of required CRB and medical checks be supported; and
3) a further report be submitted to the Council to establish full costs and clear reasoning for greater investment in this scheme.
Reasons for the decision:
The Commission had been fully supportive of the Breckland Community Car Schemes, which were seen as a vital lifeline to people living in the rural areas.
Alternative options considered:
Option 1 - Continue to run the existing scheme
· Exposure to risk to the Council with minimal governance arrangements in place
· Volunteers could choose to withdraw from the service robust controls are placed on each scheme. Furthermore the rising costs of fuel presents a threat to schemes
No budget in place to increase the scheme to other parishes.
Option 2 - To continue the scheme, including new :
· Put in place the necessary governance procedures and legal agreements to protect the Council, Car scheme operators and volunteers.
· Consider a further allocation of funding up to £10,000 to cover shortfall and accommodate potential for new schemes
· Car scheme operators may not want to take on the legal responsibility of operating the car schemes.
Volunteers may not support the tighter control procedures
Publication date: 11/09/2008
Date of decision: 09/09/2008
Decided at meeting: 09/09/2008 - Cabinet
Effective from: 19/09/2008