Empty Homes Policy
Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: Yes
To bring forward a replacement for the existing Empty Dwellings Policy reflecting changes in legislation.
That the replacement Private Empty Dwellings Policy be adopted subject to the following amendments:
1) to require that the Ward Member be informed of any instances where an Empty Dwellings Management Order was to be pursued in their Ward; and
2) to require that in extreme cases where the owner cannot be traced, and it was proposed that a property was required to be demolished and/or redeveloped, such action to be subject to the approval of full Council.
Reasons for the decision:
1) To enable the Council to exercise the powers already adopted by Cabinet.
2) To be able to justify the Council’s actions to a Residential Property Tribunal.
Alternative options considered:
1) To adopt the new policy that reflected current legislative provision and the powers already adopted by Cabinet.
2) Not to adopt the new policy and to continue with the old policy that did not reflect the new powers already adopted by Cabinet. Such a conflict could result in the Council being unable to justify its actions to a Residential Property tribunal.
Publication date: 11/09/2008
Date of decision: 09/09/2008
Decided at meeting: 09/09/2008 - Cabinet
Effective from: 19/09/2008