Attleborough Link Road Delivery
Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
To recommend to Full Council the approval of the Attleborough Link Road Delivery.
(1) Authority be delegated to the Chief Executive to seek to acquire the necessary land to facilitate Link Road option 3 through engagement and negotiated agreement with landowner;
(2) Link Road options 1 and 2 not be pursued.
It was further RESOLVED TO RECOMMEND TO COUNCIL that delegated authority be given to the Chief Executive in consultation with the Leader to approve and release the required funding for land purchase of route option 3.
Reasons for the decision:
· The reason for the recommendation is to enable the identification of a preferred route and to provide certainty of the mechanisms to enable delivery. Consequent upon this is an increased degree of potential certainty about the location and identity of land holdings that stand (or would not stand) to be affected. Furthermore, the mechanisms to enable the route’s delivery would be clarified, such that negotiations to effect voluntary acquisitions by agreement would be embarked upon in the first instance.
· Should option 7.1(i) not be agreed, Members are advised that this will significantly and adversely affect the Council’s adopted planning strategy for Attleborough, but also critically impact upon the likely soundness of the emerging Local Plan document currently under preparation.
· Furthermore, not endorsing paragraph 7.1(i) would also result in the Council being unable to resist further speculative planning applications for new housing development in Attleborough in advance of the Local Plan as it would be unable to demonstrate delivery of the proposed new housing growth currently expected to come forward in the later phases of the plan period.
Alternative options considered:
· Members to consider the contents of this report and appendices and agree to delegate responsibility to officers to seek to acquire the land required to deliver link road option 3 by negotiated agreement with the landowner. Members resolve not to pursue acquisition of alternative link road options 1 and 2 (and variations thereof). Members also agree to release funding to acquire land should the negotiation be successful. Should an agreement with the landowner of option 3 not be forthcoming within 6 months, a report will be brought back to Cabinet to agree next steps.
· Members to consider the contents of this report and do not agree to allow officers to seek to acquire the land required to deliver link road option 3 by negotiated agreement with the landowner. Members do not agree to release funding to purchase the land. Members do not agree to the principle of Council involvement to acquire the land.
Report author: Paul Jackson, Phil Mileham
Publication date: 23/10/2014
Date of decision: 22/10/2014
Decided at meeting: 22/10/2014 - Cabinet
Effective from: 31/10/2014