Cessation of the Council Publication Known as 'Voice'
Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: Yes
To enable Members to make a decision on the future of the Council’s magazine.
1) the production of the Council publication known as ‘Voice’ cease with immediate effect; and
2) the remainder of the budget for the publication in the financial year 2013/14 be taken as savings and be removed from the communications budget for 2014/15 onwards.
Reasons for the decision:
- Substantial year-on-year savings would be made by ceasing publication of the Council magazine.
- Modern communication channels including social media have now been validated. Combining these new communications channels with traditional communication methods and ensuring parish/town councils and parish magazines were kept informed means any negative effects from ceasing the magazine could be adequately mitigated.
- Ceasing the magazine also ensured continued compliance with the government’s direction for councils to demonstrate the cost effectiveness of their communications.
Alternative options considered:
Option 1 - Do nothing
The publication remains in suspension and the Council does not realise any possible savings from the budget
Option 2 – Permanently cease publication of the magazine (recommended)
Take the remainder of the budget for publication for financial year 2013/14 as savings and remove the budget line from the communications budget for the 2013/14 onwards
Option 3 – Bring ‘Voice’ out of suspension
Continue to publish the Council publication with the number of editions to be agreed by Members. It should be noted that if Members were to agree a number of publications above 4 per year, this would not only remove the option of making efficiency savings, but it would also require growth in the budget.
Report author: Dominic Chessum
Publication date: 09/01/2014
Date of decision: 07/01/2014
Decided at meeting: 07/01/2014 - Cabinet
Effective from: 17/01/2014