Improvement works to land on Barnham Cross Estate in Thetford.
Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: Yes
Following on from a report presented to Cabinet on 12 February 2013 to decide whether to transfer an area of land to Flagship Housing Group at nil consideration, whether or not to accept responsibility for the future maintenance of the areas that would remain within Breckland Council’s ownership but would be licensed to Flagship Housing Group to carry out the improvement works, and to transfer the footpath within area 17 of the site plan within the report to Norfolk County Council when the works proposed by Flagship were complete.
1) the land within area 15 as highlighted on the plans within the report that are under Breckland Council’s control be transferred to Flagship Housing Group at nil consideration, subject to Flagship Housing Group paying all Breckland Council’s legal and District Valuer’s fees in respect of these matters; and
2) responsibility be accepted for the future maintenance for those areas that would remain within Breckland Council’s ownership.
Reasons for the decision:
- To work in partnership with Flagship to improve car parking and landscaping on the Barnham Cross Estate in Thetford and to enable the project to move forward.
- Whilst it was contrary to accept responsibility for new areas, Breckland Council was already responsible for maintaining these areas, and with the exception of 5 new trees to be planted in area 2 and the erection of bollards in area 19 (see site plan attached to the report), it was the view of the Officer that in the interests of the future appearance of the development and to continue to encourage community involvement, Breckland should continue to maintain these areas.
- Finally, if the monies from Moving Thetford Forward were not spent on these improvements that there was a possibility that the monies could be used on an alternative project that would be to the detriment of the Barnham Cross Estate and to its residents.
Alternative options considered:
To transfer Area 15 to Flagship Housing Group at nil consideration; subject to Flagship paying all Breckland Council’s legal fees in respect of this matter.
To retain the land with Breckland Council’s ownership and grant a licence for Flagship to undertake improvement works to this area.
To accept responsibility for the maintenance of Areas 1, 2 16, 17 and 19 after Flagship Housing Group have completed 12 months maintenance.
Report author: Sue Bloomfield
Publication date: 09/01/2014
Date of decision: 07/01/2014
Decided at meeting: 07/01/2014 - Cabinet
Effective from: 17/01/2014