Release of Rough Sleeper Funding
Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: Yes
To approve the spend of grant funding received from the Communities and Local Government Department for the prevention and relief of rough sleeping
That the sum of £10,664 awarded to Breckland Council from the Department of Communities and Local Government Department (DCLG) for the relief and prevention of rough sleeping within the District be released
Reasons for the decision:
The reasons for requesting the release of funds are as follows:
- The United Kingdom Border Agency cannot fund removals and expect such expenses to be covered by the District Council in which they are working.
- If removal is unsuccessful there is still a need to ensure that accommodation is provided during the winter months in line with the severe weather protocol.
- There is no guarantee that the United Kingdom Border Agency can remove all rough sleepers from the District, even if they do there will be a cost involved.
- Reduced low level crime and anti social behaviour related to rough sleepers due to a reduction in the number of people rough sleeping.
Alternative options considered:
- To approve the release of funds from the budget.
- Not to approve the release of funds form the budget.
Report author: Antony James-Orekogbe
Publication date: 20/10/2011
Date of decision: 18/10/2011
Decided at meeting: 18/10/2011 - Cabinet
Effective from: 28/10/2011