Extension of the Material Recycling Facility (MRF) Contract with Norfolk Environmental Waste Services
Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
To advise of the options for the extension of the Eastern Shires Purchasing Organisation (ESPO) contract the Council has with Norfolk Environmental Waste Services (NEWS) for the processing of recyclable waste and the recovery of materials for recycling, beyond the initial 8 year contract period which ends on 31st March 2011.
RECOMMEND to Council that
1) the existing Eastern Shires Purchasing Organisation (ESPO) contract with Norfolk Environmental Waste Services (NEWS) be varied in order to enable a three year extension to the current contract under the current terms and conditions from April 2011, and that a review by partner councils take place to conclude by October 2012 to decide the long term arrangements for MRF provision; and
2) the existing ESPO contract be varied by changing the current additional extension arrangements in order to enable, if appropriate, an extension beyond the proposed three year extension by a further 14 years. Such an extension would be subject to both the outcome of the contract review, and to the negotiation of satisfactory terms during the three year extension period, or otherwise to terminate the contract in March 2014.
Reasons for the decision:
Alternative options considered:
The Council has three options:
1) Terminate the contract at the end of March 2011.
2) Agree to extend the contract for a further five years, with the potential to extend beyond this for a further 12 years.
3) Agree to extend the contract for three years, with the potential to extend beyond this for a further 14 years, but with an option to allow renegotiation at the end of the three year extension.
Report author: Roger Wilkin
Publication date: 13/05/2010
Date of decision: 11/05/2010
Decided at meeting: 11/05/2010 - Cabinet