Review of Committee Structure
Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
The report responds to the request from Full Council in November 2009 for a review of the committee structure by making a number of proposals to streamline the current decision making processes at Breckland Council.
Recommend to Council that the following changes be made to the Political Management Structure at Breckland Council (with appropriate changes made to the Council’s Constitution):
1. That no changes be made to the existing Committee Structure.
2. That the number of Task and Finish Groups that can be operated by the Overview and Scrutiny Commission (OSC) be limited to a maximum of three at any one time (including the LDF Group, but excluding the Joint OSC on Shared Services and ARP).
NB: The Council’s Constitution will include a clause whereby Full Council OR the Leader of the Council and Chairman of the OSC can establish a further Task Group, if the item for discussion is considered suitably expedient.
3. That, in future, the Three Task and Finish Group Chairmen be appointed by the Overview and Scrutiny Commission (normally from within their own membership) on a task by task basis rather than at the Annual Meeting of Council.
4. That no changes be made to the 2010/11 Meeting Schedule, as agreed by Full Council on 12 November 2009.
5. That committee membership is revised in accordance with the proposal in paragraph 3.2.8.
6. That, during the 2010/11 municipal year, the use of two named Conservative substitutes and one opposition substitute is trialled for appropriate committees.
Reasons for the decision:
Members and Officers had identified a number of areas where the Political Management arrangements could be improved at Breckland. By implementing the recommendations, Breckland Council would be able to improve the effectiveness of the Scrutiny Task & Finish Groups by focusing resources on areas of importance and make better use of Member time at committees.
Failure to implement the recommendations would delay the improvement of the Political Management arrangements at Breckland Council.
Alternative options considered:
To agree the recommendations as outlined in the report.
Not to agree (all or part of) the recommendations as outlined in the report, or to suggest alternatives for consideration.
Report author: Stephen McGrath
Publication date: 13/05/2010
Date of decision: 11/05/2010
Decided at meeting: 11/05/2010 - Cabinet